Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> on 2006/07/20 12:06:57 UTC

Re: svn commit: r20740 - trunk/contrib/hook-scripts

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 06:33:35AM -0700, maxb@tigris.org wrote:
> Some gentle preparatory changes toward merging Atom support into svn2rss.py.

I thought we'd originally discussed not doing this, because they didn't
seem to share that much that was important? (and generating Atom feeds
via something called svn2rss is a little strange, though we could rename
it as well, I guess).

Whichever, I don't really mind, as long as I can generate an Atom feed
without having to install a Python RSS-generator module, since that would
be a little silly, and rather annoying.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: svn commit: r20740 - trunk/contrib/hook-scripts

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 04:31:58PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 06:33:35AM -0700, maxb@tigris.org wrote:
> >> Some gentle preparatory changes toward merging Atom support into svn2rss.py.
> >>

> > I thought we'd originally discussed not doing this, because they didn't
> > seem to share that much that was important?
>
> I don't remember a discussion, but it's quite possible I forget or never
> read it.

(for the benefit of the list, it was
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-06/0313.shtml that I was referring to).

> So, we'll rename it to svn2feed once I get to the point of actually
> getting some Atom code merged.
>
> > Whichever, I don't really mind, as long as I can generate an Atom feed
> > without having to install a Python RSS-generator module, since that would
> > be a little silly, and rather annoying.
>
> That would be silly indeed.
>
> I will be inserting appropriate conditionals.

+1 to all of that.  Thanks for picking this up, Max!

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: svn commit: r20740 - trunk/contrib/hook-scripts

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 06:33:35AM -0700, maxb@tigris.org wrote:
>> Some gentle preparatory changes toward merging Atom support into svn2rss.py.
>>

> I thought we'd originally discussed not doing this, because they didn't
> seem to share that much that was important?

I don't remember a discussion, but it's quite possible I forget or never
read it.

However, having done the work to re-integrate commit-email.pl and
propchange-email.pl, I have no desire to see another hook script get
unnecessarily forked - it's a big maintenance headache.

> (and generating Atom feeds
> via something called svn2rss is a little strange, though we could rename
> it as well, I guess).

So, we'll rename it to svn2feed once I get to the point of actually
getting some Atom code merged.

> Whichever, I don't really mind, as long as I can generate an Atom feed
> without having to install a Python RSS-generator module, since that would
> be a little silly, and rather annoying.

That would be silly indeed.

I will be inserting appropriate conditionals.

Max.

Re: svn commit: r20740 - trunk/contrib/hook-scripts

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:

>>> I thought we'd originally discussed not doing this, because they didn't
>>> seem to share that much that was important? (and generating Atom feeds
>>> via something called svn2rss is a little strange, though we could rename
>>> it as well, I guess).
>>
>> Yes! As per [1], we have decided to have it separate.
>>
>> [1] http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=116597
>>
>> We discussed not doing this, because it would complicate things. We may
>> end up using PyRSS2Gen and atom specific library (xml.dom) in the same
>> script. In addition, we should tweak svn2rss.py (yeah, including the
>> script name) to match it to work for Atom feeds.
>>
>> So, i prefer to have them as separate scripts.
>
> I still say this is bogus, but I'll try to make sure this is the last time I
> say it.  If we had a single script that did its option parsing first, and
> then tried to import only the modules it needs based on the feed type
> chosen, and then went about its business, I don't see the problem.  Folks
> using RSS would still only have to have the PyRSS2Gen module.  Folks using
> Atom would only have to have the Atom generation module.  And we'd save
> ourselves a bundle of *completely* overlapping code.
>
> I'll volunteer to merge the two myself, unless it will break some hearts.

No need, I already have just as described above in my WC. I'll be
committing as soon as I've tested it a bit.

Max.

Re: svn commit: r20740 - trunk/contrib/hook-scripts

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: svn commit: r20740 - trunk/contrib/hook-scripts

Posted by Bhuvaneswaran Arumugam <bh...@collab.net>.
> > Some gentle preparatory changes toward merging Atom support into svn2rss.py.
> >

> I thought we'd originally discussed not doing this, because they didn't
> seem to share that much that was important? (and generating Atom feeds
> via something called svn2rss is a little strange, though we could rename
> it as well, I guess).

Yes! As per [1], we have decided to have it separate.

[1] http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=116597

We discussed not doing this, because it would complicate things. We may
end up using PyRSS2Gen and atom specific library (xml.dom) in the same
script. In addition, we should tweak svn2rss.py (yeah, including the
script name) to match it to work for Atom feeds.

So, i prefer to have them as separate scripts.
Bhuvaneswaran