Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alexandre Moraes <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/28 17:58:36 UTC

How to configure Apache2+SVN+PAM

Hi,

I´m looking through the web but it´s hard to find how to configure
PAM+Apache2+Svn.

Anyone can help me or tell me some documentation?

Thanks

Alexandre Moraes

Re: How to configure Apache2+SVN+PAM

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 07:38, Nico Kadel-Garcia<nk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Andrey Repin<an...@freemail.ru> wrote:
>> Greetings, Nico Kadel-Garcia!

>>> Good. It's fixed in Windows. (Doesn't fix it in UNIX or Linux, but
>>> that's a good step.)
>>
>> 3'rd message and you didn't bothered reading replies to your posts in a whole.
>
> Are you referring to Ryan's? And his reference to the wallets? Those
> ae out-of-band wrappers, and don't fix the underlying problem.

How are they "out of band wrappers"? the functionality is included in
the official source.

Re: How to configure Apache2+SVN+PAM

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Andrey Repin<an...@freemail.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Nico Kadel-Garcia!

>>> TortoiseSVN uses the same Crypto APIs as the command line packages. Thus, passwords aren't stored in plaintext.
>>>
>>> Jason Malinowski
>
>> Good. It's fixed in Windows. (Doesn't fix it in UNIX or Linux, but
>> that's a good step.)
>
> 3'rd message and you didn't bothered reading replies to your posts in a whole.

Are you referring to Ryan's? And his reference to the wallets? Those
ae out-of-band wrappers, and don't fix the underlying problem.

This is an old set of issues: storing the passwords in cleartext was a
bad idea from day one, and it's been band-aids and duct tape trying to
close the holes on it ever since.

Re: How to configure Apache2+SVN+PAM

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Nico Kadel-Garcia!

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Jason Malinowski<ja...@jason-m.com> wrote:
>>> Most of my acquaintances use TortoiseSVN (which is admittedly better
>>> about this and has been for ages.)
>>
>> TortoiseSVN uses the same Crypto APIs as the command line packages. Thus, passwords aren't stored in plaintext.
>>
>> Jason Malinowski

> Good. It's fixed in Windows. (Doesn't fix it in UNIX or Linux, but
> that's a good step.)

3'rd message and you didn't bothered reading replies to your posts in a whole.

WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: How to configure Apache2+SVN+PAM

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Malinowski <ja...@jason-m.com>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 29, 2009, at 09:44, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> I´m looking through the web but it´s hard to find how to configure
>> PAM+Apache2+Svn.
>
> [ Yes, I rant about this. Yes, I am a broken record, but it needs
> repeating for new users. ]
>
> *DON'T*. Seriously. Unless you can assure that your clients are not
> going to use the default subversion clients, which store passwords in
> cleartext by default, any such service is a serious security pitfall.

In a message last week that you did not respond to, I replied [1] to
your prior rant on this topic a week ago explaining that the

[1] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2009-08/0550.shtml

Re: How to configure Apache2+SVN+PAM

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Alexandre Moraes<al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m looking through the web but it´s hard to find how to configure
> PAM+Apache2+Svn.

[ Yes, I rant about this. Yes, I am a broken record, but it needs
repeating for new users. ]

*DON'T*. Seriously. Unless you can assure that your clients are not
going to use the default subversion clients, which store passwords in
cleartext by default, any such service is a serious security pitfall.
Subversion 1.6.x imporoved the situation somewhat with the change to
ask the client before storing the passwords that way, but that should
have *NEVER* been the default behavior of the client: it's led to a
host of truly awful security practices, especially in environments
(such as you are describing) where the user's normal login password
would be used for subversion HTTPS access.

There are clients that do not do this, and that implement considerably
more secure wallets, but unless you actually delete the binary or
deliberately edit svn source code to disable password handling (which
I've done in the past!), you can't prevent arbitrary clients from
discarding any pretense of site security.

Use HTTP access only for anonymous, unauthorized site-wide access. Use
HTTPS only for SSL key access, not password access, especially do not
use it for passwords based on your normal login passwords. And use
svn+ssh with public key management to provide protected access, unless
you want those passwords published in the readable
$HOME/.subversion/auth/ directory of every UNIX or Linux client.

Now, with all that ranting over:

If you have your heart set on this, it works well in RHEL 5 and recent
Fedora versions with the built-in httpd, mod_dav_svn, and some merging
from the kerberos configuguration utilities in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ into
the subversion.conf file there. What OS are you working with, which
Subversion and which 'Apache2'?