Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2009/08/19 20:00:23 UTC

possibly including the BSFAnnotator in the sandbox release 2.3.0

While working on including the BSFAnnotator in the sandbox release, I
noticed it has 6 jar files in its "lib" directory.  The NOTICE file says
that the project includes some components under MPL and SPL; however,
the information needed to associate each of this included 3rd-party jar
files with the proper license is missing.

Can someone who knows identify the source of the following jars:

bsf.jar
bsh-bsf.jar
bsh.jar
commons-logging-api-1.1.jar
js.jar
log4j-1.2.15.jar

I typed bsf.jar into google and got to the Apache Jakarta site.  I
downloaded and unzipped their release, and found the jars are different
- I suspect, due to version / level changes.

Do we need to update/upgrade any of these Jars?

Is there a better way to package / distribute this in binary form?

Also, I noticed that the POM section for building the documentation is
commented out - because there is no docbook style documentation.  The
documentation seems limited to a README and some examples.  Is there
additional documentation available for this?

-Marshall

Re: possibly including the BSFAnnotator in the sandbox release 2.3.0

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Olivier Terrier wrote:
> Hi Marshall
>
> When I donated the BSFAnnotator about two years ago I was not very
> familiar with the maven-based Apache UIMA build process... And I'm
> afraid I'm still not be.
>

>> While working on including the BSFAnnotator in the sandbox release, I
>> noticed it has 6 jar files in its "lib" directory.  The NOTICE file
>> says
>> that the project includes some components under MPL and SPL; however,
>> the information needed to associate each of this included 3rd-party
>>
> jar
>
>> files with the proper license is missing.
>>
>> Can someone who knows identify the source of the following jars:
>>
>> bsf.jar
>>
> Apache 2 license
> Comes from
> http://apache.crihan.fr/dist/jakarta/bsf/binaries/bsf-bin-2.4.0.zip
>

>> bsh-bsf.jar
>>
> No longer needed: can be removed
>

>> bsh.jar
>>
> Dual licensed under both the SPL and LGPL => SPL is in the list of
> acceptable licenses available here:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
> Can be replaced by http://www.beanshell.org/bsh-1.3.0.jar (which now
> contains the bsh-bsf.jar classes)
>

>> commons-logging-api-1.1.jar
>>
> Apache 2 license
> Comes from
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/logging/binaries/commons-logging-
> 1.1.zip
>

>> js.jar
>>
> Dual licensed under both the MPL 1.1 and GPL => MPL is in the list of
> acceptable licenses available here:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
> Comes from ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/rhino1_6R7.zip
>

>> log4j-1.2.15.jar
>>
> Apache 2 license
> Comes from
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/logging/log4j/1.2.15/apache-log4j-1
> .2.15.zip
>

>> Is there a better way to package / distribute this in binary form?
>>
> Probably using maven dependencies but I don't have enough maven-skills
> to do it myself
>

>> Also, I noticed that the POM section for building the documentation is
>> commented out - because there is no docbook style documentation.  The
>> documentation seems limited to a README and some examples.  Is there
>> additional documentation available for this?
>>
> No: just the README sorry
>
> I guess that a real revamping should use the JSR-223 (javax.script)
> which is included in Java 1.6 and add support to new popular scripting
> languages like groovy, beanshell 2.0 etc...

Thanks for responding!  I'll update the project with this information.

-Marshall

Posted by Olivier Terrier <ol...@temis.com>.
OK I have a look

Cheers