Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Michael W.Cocke" <co...@catherders.com> on 2004/07/07 20:54:19 UTC

[OT] Amavisd 2.0 has severe problem

This is off topic and I do apologize, but it seems to me that people
who use SpamAssassin are going to be impacted too.

There's a severe bug in Amavisd 2.0 - it appears to be looking for a
particular directory ($db_home), but is unable to detect when it is
there.  This causes amavisd to crash, and unless you're watching the
logs carefully, it's also easy to miss the failure.

I've been trying to report this to the amavisd mailing list for 3 days
now - it won't accept a post from me, although I seem to be
subscribed.  In the meantime, you may want to delay upgrading your
amavisd.

Mike-
--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
--

Re: [OT] Amavisd 2.0 has severe problem

Posted by mo...@medic.chalmers.se.
In message <9c...@4ax.com>, Michael W. Cocke write
s:
>This is off topic and I do apologize, but it seems to me that people
>who use SpamAssassin are going to be impacted too.

>There's a severe bug in Amavisd 2.0 - it appears to be looking for a
>particular directory ($db_home), but is unable to detect when it is
>there.  This causes amavisd to crash, and unless you're watching the
>logs carefully, it's also easy to miss the failure.

Amavisd discovers $db_home ok for me. Does your amavis user have the
right permissions to see the directory?

>I've been trying to report this to the amavisd mailing list for 3 days
>now - it won't accept a post from me, although I seem to be
>subscribed.  In the meantime, you may want to delay upgrading your
>amavisd.

Check which address the amavis mailing list goes to, you probably need
to send mail to the list with the same address.

//Christer

--
| Sys admin @ MEDIC              WWW: http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/            |
| Email: mort@dtek.chalmers.se   Phone: (0)31 772 5431, (0)707 53 57 57	      |

RE: [OT] Amavisd 2.0 has severe problem

Posted by Anders Norrbring <li...@norrbring.biz>.

> This is off topic and I do apologize, but it seems to me that people
> who use SpamAssassin are going to be impacted too.
>
> There's a severe bug in Amavisd 2.0 - it appears to be looking for a
> particular directory ($db_home), but is unable to detect when it is
> there.  This causes amavisd to crash, and unless you're watching the
> logs carefully, it's also easy to miss the failure.
>
> I've been trying to report this to the amavisd mailing list for 3 days
> now - it won't accept a post from me, although I seem to be
> subscribed.  In the meantime, you may want to delay upgrading your
> amavisd.

Did you read the file RELEASE_NOTES ?  It's very clearly statedin there
that;

INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES since amavisd-new-20030616 (any patch level)

- requires Perl module BerkeleyDB with libdb version 3.1 or later
  (tested with db 4.1); This requirement will be made optional
  at a later date;

- a directory at $db_home (default /var/amavis/db) must be manually created
  to store cache and snmp DB files. It should be writable for user running
  amavisd. The db files within are removed and re-created at each restart
  to avoid having to deal with db recovery (but need not be, as far as the
  program logic is concerned);

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting