Posted to users@maven.apache.org by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com> on 2009/03/11 20:48:46 UTC

installing a war from a war based project automatically

Is there a good way to, when building a war type project, to have the
resulting war file placed in the users local repository?

A friend pointed me to the build-helper-maven-plugin maintained by
codehaus, but I see the "primaryArtifact" option to the war plugin but
it doesn't seem to work.

Re: installing a war from a war based project automatically

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM, EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com> wrote:
> Mvn assembly:directory, but I've tried mvn install and that doesn't seem
> to work either.

I think you'll need to use one of the assembly goals that "attaches"
the assembly to the build.

> I think I see what's going on now - we have a custom packaging type that
> extends the war functionality.  What's weird is, we're building the jar,
> then the war and finally our custom packaging type.  But only the jar
> and the custom one are installed by default.

If you're using custom packaging and building three things ... what do
you consider the "main" artifact from this module?

--
Wendy

RE: installing a war from a war based project automatically

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com>.
Actually, I see this in the assembly documentation:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/plugin-info.html

"This goal will force Maven to build all included POMs up to the package
phase BEFORE the assembly is processed."

Did it always work this way?  I thought that running an "assembly"
included the "install" goal - when/why did this change?

Additionally (but unrelated) when did we start stripping off the ".dir"
suffix that's generated when you use assembly:directory?

Mvn assembly:directory, but I've tried mvn install and that doesn't seem
to work either.

I think I see what's going on now - we have a custom packaging type that
extends the war functionality.  What's weird is, we're building the jar,
then the war and finally our custom packaging type.  But only the jar
and the custom one are installed by default.

I'm looking at the plexus configuration we have right now....

> Is there a good way to, when building a war type project, to have the
> resulting war file placed in the users local repository?

Just 'mvn install' should do that.  What command are you using and
what's going wrong?

--
Wendy

RE: installing a war from a war based project automatically

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.