Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2003/06/17 12:30:46 UTC

atomize your content

i very much like sandro zic's notion of "atomizing content"

http://www.zzoss.com/weblog/index.php?m=200306#71

For future CMS, this concludes to the imperative: Atomize your Content! This
means that future CMSs need to work with structured content (XML) and
related technologies to identify parts of contents (XPath, XPointer). This
allows for information reuse (e.g. integrating a diagram from a published
work into a new text) and information contextualization (e.g. relating the
metadata from the new text to the text where we took the diagram from).
<<

i think we are only scratching the surface with xslt and xinclude
at this point. i also remember the interesting demo xopus had
where you could search through a bunch of xml files to define
xincludes.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: atomize your content

Posted by Marc <kl...@saphor.de>.
> i very much like sandro zic's notion of "atomizing content"
>
> http://www.zzoss.com/weblog/index.php?m 0306#71
>

> For future CMS, this concludes to the imperative: Atomize your Content! This
> means that future CMSs need to work with structured content (XML) and
> related technologies to identify parts of contents (XPath, XPointer). This
> allows for information reuse (e.g. integrating a diagram from a published
> work into a new text) and information contextualization (e.g. relating the
> metadata from the new text to the text where we took the diagram from).
> <<
>
> i think we are only scratching the surface with xslt and xinclude
> at this point. i also remember the interesting demo xopus had
> where you could search through a bunch of xml files to define
> xincludes.

This would be a wonderful feature. Indeed, in many serious SGML
applications atomized content reuse of content "atoms" in many different
documents was one of the key reasons why people migrated to SGML in the
first place at a time when the systems were still very expensive.  How
much more true today where XML tools are so much more accessible!

Best regards,

Marc

RE: atomize your content

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

So one way you could implement this would be an editor's view of a page
with the atoms (the sitemap being responsible for assembling the atoms
into the page) Clicking a section title brings up a dialog to edit its
attributes, clicking a section's content brings it into Midas or
Twingle, perhaps in a separate window, or by transforming the document
in-place with the appropriate content-editable marks.
<<

there are some tricky locking issues with that approach, but from
a GUI perspective it has a lot of appeal.

BTW, I'm having to put off Lenya docs for a week or so. I've been asked
to build some form handling tools, and have detoured into flowscript
and XForms to do that.
<<

let us know what you learn :)

-gregor

Re: atomize your content

Posted by Bill Humphries <wh...@apple.com>.
On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 03:30  AM, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> For future CMS, this concludes to the imperative: Atomize your
> Content! This
> means that future CMSs need to work with structured content (XML) and
> related technologies to identify parts of contents (XPath, XPointer).
> This
> allows for information reuse (e.g. integrating a diagram from a
> published
> work into a new text) and information contextualization (e.g. relating
> the
> metadata from the new text to the text where we took the diagram from).

I think this model can help with the editing in the browser task. For
example:

The content of a page in our intranet has the structure:

+-Page------------------------+
| Title Attribute             |
| Other Attributes            |
+-----------------------------+
| +-Section------------------+|
| | ACL Attribute            ||
| | Title Attribute          ||
| | Is in Page Index Attr.   ||
| +--------------------------+|
| | Section Content more or  ||
| | less in XHTML            ||
| |                          ||
| +--------------------------+|
|                             |
| +-Section------------------+|
| | ...                      ||
| +--------------------------+|
|                             |
| Etc.                        |
+-----------------------------+

And the editing task is focused on selecting a container and editing
its contents/attributes.

So one way you could implement this would be an editor's view of a page
with the atoms (the sitemap being responsible for assembling the atoms
into the page) Clicking a section title brings up a dialog to edit its
attributes, clicking a section's content brings it into Midas or
Twingle, perhaps in a separate window, or by transforming the document
in-place with the appropriate content-editable marks.

Again, this is just a 10,000 meter reaction to Sandro's post.

BTW, I'm having to put off Lenya docs for a week or so. I've been asked
to build some form handling tools, and have detoured into flowscript
and XForms to do that.

-- whump