Posted to user@spark.apache.org by tonsat <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/30 18:45:16 UTC

timestamp not implemented yet

We have installed spark 1.1 stand alone master mode. when we are trying to
access parquet format table. we are getting below error and one of the field
is defined as timestamp. Based on information provided in apache.spark.org
spark supports parquet and pretty much all hive datatypes including
timestamp.
Any help appreciated.
BTW Spark server up and running no issues and Table with TextFile Format
with Timestamp field working fine.

14/09/30 12:27:07 WARN thrift.ThriftCLIService: Error fetching results:
org.apache.hive.service.cli.HiveSQLException:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: timestamp not implemented yet
        at
org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.server.SparkSQLOperationManager$$anon$1.run(SparkSQLOperationManager.scala:201)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.session.HiveSessionImpl.executeStatementInternal(HiveSessionImpl.java:193)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.session.HiveSessionImpl.executeStatement(HiveSessionImpl.java:175)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.CLIService.executeStatement(CLIService.java:150)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.ThriftCLIService.ExecuteStatement(ThriftCLIService.java:207)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Processor$ExecuteStatement.getResult(TCLIService.java:1133)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Processor$ExecuteStatement.getResult(TCLIService.java:1118)
        at
org.apache.thrift.ProcessFunction.process(ProcessFunction.java:39)
        at org.apache.thrift.TBaseProcessor.process(TBaseProcessor.java:39)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.auth.TUGIContainingProcessor$1.run(TUGIContainingProcessor.java:58)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.auth.TUGIContainingProcessor$1.run(TUGIContainingProcessor.java:55)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1548)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.HadoopShimsSecure.doAs(HadoopShimsSecure.java:526)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.auth.TUGIContainingProcessor.process(TUGIContainingProcessor.java:55)
        at
org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:206)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
14/09/30 12:27:07 INFO cli.CLIService: SessionHandle
[32f1c10a-ae27-4759-b2ff-0b8cc0321222]: closeSession()

Re: timestamp not implemented yet

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.
That is a pretty reasonable workaround.  Also, please feel free to file a
JIRA when you find gaps in functionality like this that are impacting your
workloads:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK/

Posted by tonsat <to...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Nilesh originally tables was created in impala same table trying to
access through spark-sql. Any idea what is the best file format we should be
using running spark jobs if we have date field?

Re: timestamp not implemented yet

Posted by "barge.nilesh" <ba...@gmail.com>.
Spark 1.1 comes with Hive 0.12 and Hive 0.12, for parquet format, doesn't
support timestamp datatype.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Parquet#Parquet-Limitations
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Parquet#Parquet-Limitations>