Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Alexey Trenikhun <ye...@msn.com> on 2020/02/22 01:21:56 UTC

async io parallelism

Hello,
Let's say, my elements are simple key-value pairs, elements are coming from Kafka, where they were partitioned by "key", then I do processing using KeyedProcessFunction (keyed by same "key"), then I enrich elements using ordered RichAsyncFunction, then output to another KeyedProcessFunction (keyed by same "key") and then write to Kafka topic, again partitioned by same "key", something like this:

FlinkKafkaConsumer -> keyBy("key") -> Intake(KeyedProcessFunction) -> AsyncDataStream.orderedWait() -> keyBy("key")->Output(KeyedProcessFunction)->FlinkKafkaProducer

Will it preserve order of events with same "key"?

  *   Will Output function receive elements with same "key" in same order as they were originally in Kafka?
  *   Will FlinkKafkaProducer writes elements with same "key" in same order as they were originally in Kafka?
  *   Does it depend on parallelism of async IO? Documentation says "the stream order is preserved", but if there are multiple parallel instances of async function, does it mean order relative to each single instance? Or total stream order?

Thanks,
Alexey

Re: async io parallelism

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com>.
Hi Alexey,

no there are as many instances as configured, but each would operate on the
current key group range and maintain the order on that.
So messages with the same key are never shuffled with ordered async.
Messages with different key would be processed potentially independently
and could change order.

Best,

Arvid

Re: async io parallelism