Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/01/27 10:36:55 UTC

IKVM (or rather OpenJDK) License Problem

Hi,

sorry I started this before doing my homework.  If we took the IKVM
route Lucene.NET's binary distribution could not bundle the OpenJDK
derived DLLs.  They are licensed as GPL2 + Classpath Exception[1] which
is part of the list of explicitly prohibited licenses for ASF
distributions[2].

This would mean users had to download the DLL from the IKVM site
themselves which sounds pretty inconvient.

Stefan

[1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ikvm/index.php?title=License

[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

Re: IKVM (or rather OpenJDK) License Problem

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-01-28, digy digy wrote:

>>> * It's not possible to make custom changes in IKVMed Lucene.NET
>>> unless you make your changes in java sources and compile them.

>> Wouldn't a "custom change" contradict the goal of a line-by-line
>> translation?

> What I  intented to say was customizations made by Lucene.Net users,  not as
> a Lucene.Net project.

Understood, thanks

Stefan

Re: IKVM (or rather OpenJDK) License Problem

Posted by digy digy <di...@gmail.com>.
>> * It's not possible to make custom changes in IKVMed Lucene.NET unless
you
>> make your changes in java sources and compile them.

> Wouldn't a "custom change" contradict the goal of a line-by-line
> translation?

What I  intented to say was customizations made by Lucene.Net users,  not as
a Lucene.Net project.

DIGY

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi DIGY

Posted by digy digy <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

* Java's bytecode doesn't contain metadata about generics and when Java is
compiled, all info about generics gets lost. So, IKVMed Lucene.Net will have
to live without generics.

* IKVM is the java world in .NET runtime in fact.  If you are , for ex, to
write an analyzer, you have to override TokenStream method which accepts
"java.io.Reader" instead of "System.IO.TextReader". So .NET people have to
learn java namespaces/classes and develop their own java-compatible
libraries

* Since IKVM is a different world, remoting (for ex.) between native .NET
code & IKVMed code is problematic (one uses
"java.rmi.server.UnicastRemoteObject", the other one
"System.MarshalByRefObject").

* It's not possible to make custom changes in IKVMed Lucene.NET unless you
make your changes in java sources and compile them.

I think people can find more examples. Of course, none of them is a blocking
issue but too far from  giving a .NET taste.

DIGY

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.
Use of IKVM was discussed before.
Adding this layer (or any other shim) on top of Lucene.NET is extremely unpalatable in the environment in which our products are deployed.
For these products, I would have to abandon use of Lucene.NET.

- Neal

Posted by Ayende Rahien <ay...@ayende.com>.
It would also have drastic affects on other people using Lucene for
commercial and OSS projects.