Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2011/01/20 22:29:22 UTC

Difference regarding repositories between Maven 2 and 3, is it intentional?

Hi

I've just discovered a difference between Maven 2 and 3, and I wanted to
know if it is intentional or perhaps a regression.

We have our company repo defined in a profile in settings.xml. There are
2 entries inside <repositories>, one  for releases and one for snapshots.

In some of our products the assembly plugin has a dependency on a
build-tools JAR, which contains our custom assembly descriptors. It
looks like this:

        <plugin>
          <version>2.2</version>
          <dependencies>
            <dependency>
              <groupId>com.example</groupId>
              <artifactId>build-tools</artifactId>
              <version>7</version>
            </dependency>
          </dependencies>
        </plugin>

When I build such a product with Maven 3.0.1 on a fresh machine, it
doesn't download this build-tools dependency from our repo. When I use
Maven 2.2.1 it gets downloaded.

After some digging I added our repo as a <pluginRepository> as well as a
normal <repository> in my settings.xml file. Now Maven 3 downloads the
build-tools dependency.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Difference regarding repositories between Maven 2 and 3, is it intentional?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-01-20 22:34, Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> On 20 January 2011 21:29, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just discovered a difference between Maven 2 and 3, and I wanted to
>> know if it is intentional or perhaps a regression.
>>

> intentional I believe, see
> https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-compatibility-notes.html#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-PluginRepositories

It sure looks that way. Thanks!

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 20 January 2011 21:29, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just discovered a difference between Maven 2 and 3, and I wanted to
> know if it is intentional or perhaps a regression.

intentional I believe, see
https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-compatibility-notes.html#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-PluginRepositories

> We have our company repo defined in a profile in settings.xml. There are
> 2 entries inside <repositories>, one  for releases and one for snapshots.
>
> In some of our products the assembly plugin has a dependency on a
> build-tools JAR, which contains our custom assembly descriptors. It
> looks like this:
>
>        <plugin>
>          <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>          <artifactId>maven-assembly-plugin</artifactId>
>          <version>2.2</version>
>          <dependencies>
>            <dependency>
>              <groupId>com.example</groupId>
>              <artifactId>build-tools</artifactId>
>              <version>7</version>
>            </dependency>
>          </dependencies>
>        </plugin>
>
> When I build such a product with Maven 3.0.1 on a fresh machine, it
> doesn't download this build-tools dependency from our repo. When I use
> Maven 2.2.1 it gets downloaded.
>
> After some digging I added our repo as a <pluginRepository> as well as a
> normal <repository> in my settings.xml file. Now Maven 3 downloads the
> build-tools dependency.
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Cheers, Stuart