Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Mallampati, Suresh" <SM...@erac.com> on 2001/12/20 19:25:36 UTC

jar task bug??

 Hi,
I want to provide a manifest file to the jar task. One of my entries in the
manifest file is a bit long.
Class-Path: lib/asadfsdfsdfsd.jar lib/rdgdfsghsgsdfgsdfsg.jar
lib/asrfdsfasfsdaf.jar

The jar task, puts in new line characters and additional spaces to the
entry..and this is causing problems.
So I tried breaking that into multiple entries:
Class-Path: lib/asadfsdfsdfsd.jar
Class-Path: lib/rdgdfsghsgsdfgsdfsg.jar
Class-Path: lib/asrfdsfasfsdaf.jar

Now, when this manifest file is passed to the jar task, the first two
entries are lost. And the jar's manifest shows only the third entry. Is this
a bug..and is there some way to make the manifest file retain its entries..

Thanks,
-Suresh

RE: jar task bug??

Posted by Donnie Hale <do...@haleonline.net>.
Another comment on this. I noticed this quite a while back. While the
manifest that ends up in the .jar file looks strange with the classpath line
appearing on multiple lines, it doesn't cause any problems in terms of class
not found errors when I deploy a .ear file under WebLogic 6.1. So I've just
left it as-is with the funny-looking line(s) in the manifest.

FWIW...

Donnie

Re: jar task bug??

RE: jar task bug??

Posted by Ylan Segal <yl...@digiworks.tv>.

>  Hi,
> I want to provide a manifest file to the jar task. One of my
> entries in the
> manifest file is a bit long.
> Class-Path: lib/asadfsdfsdfsd.jar lib/rdgdfsghsgsdfgsdfsg.jar
> lib/asrfdsfasfsdaf.jar
>
> The jar task, puts in new line characters and additional spaces to the
> entry..and this is causing problems.
> So I tried breaking that into multiple entries:
> Class-Path: lib/asadfsdfsdfsd.jar
> Class-Path: lib/rdgdfsghsgsdfgsdfsg.jar
> Class-Path: lib/asrfdsfasfsdaf.jar
>
> Now, when this manifest file is passed to the jar task, the first two
> entries are lost. And the jar's manifest shows only the third
> entry. Is this
> a bug..and is there some way to make the manifest file retain its
> entries..

I don't think it is a bug.
>From the JAR File Specification, included in the documentation for jdk1.3.1:

(Manifest Specification section: )
[snip]
If there are multiple individual sections for the same file entry, the
attributes in these sections are merged. If a certain attribute have
different values in different sections, the last one is recognized.
[snip]

And then there is other interesting stuff:

(Notes on Manifest and Signature Files)
[snip]
Line length:
No line may be longer than 72 bytes (not characters), in its UTF8-encoded
form. If a value would make the initial line longer than this, it should be
continued on extra lines (each starting with a single SPACE).
[snip]

So, it looks as if jar task is behaving as it should.

Ylan Segal.