Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org> on 2017/06/20 11:15:28 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Changing Flink's shading model

I would like to start working on this.

I've looked into adding a flink-shaded-guava module. Working against the
shaded namespaces seems
to work without problems from the IDE, and we could forbid un-shaded
usages with checkstyle.

So for the list of dependencies that we want to shade we currently got:

  * asm
  * guava
  * netty
  * hadoop
  * curator

I've had a chat with Stephan Ewan and he brought up kryo + chill as well.

The nice thing is that we can do this incrementally, one dependency at a
time. As such i would propose
to go through the whole process for guava and see what problems arise.

This would include adding a flink-shaded module and a child
flink-shaded-guava module to the flink repository
that are not part of the build process, replacing all usages of guava in
Flink, adding the
checkstyle rule (optional) and deploying the artifact to maven central.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Sounds good!

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.