Posted to users@camel.apache.org by hekonsek <he...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/17 13:29:42 UTC

Apache Camel Basic exam on JavaBlackBelt

Hi

My name is Henryk. I wrote here as a JavaBlackBelt administrator
(http://javablackbelt.com). JBB is a Java certification community focused on
creating and passing (or failing :P) Java-related exams.

I want to create a "Camel - Basic" exam. It's purpose is to test the
knowledge of basic usage scenarios of Camel. No expert stuff - just some
general concepts, basic EI Patterns, some core classes, basic routing and
Camel testing.

Here (http://docs.google.com/View?id=df3b6kzf_167g8rtd5g3) you can find the
draft of the exam objectives. It will be divided into four main categories.
I would be grateful for any comments regarding the objectives structure and
its content. Maybe I should add/remove/change something? Please note that we
plan to create detailed exams for specialized Camel topics in the future
("Camel Routing", "Camel Components" and so forth).

Kind regards.

---
Henryk Konsek

Re: Apache Camel Basic exam on JavaBlackBelt

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henryk

Sounds really cool with a Camel exam at black belt.

1)
Apache Camel is implementing the famous EIP patterns from the EIP book
http://www.enterpriseintegrationpatterns.com/

So I believe the exam should outline this by covering maybe 6 or so
common patterns
- Content Based Router
- Pipes and Filters
- Message Translator
- Message Filter
- Recipient List
- and maybe WireTap

The more complex to use such as
- Splitter
- Aggregator
- Multicast
may be covered as well

2)
The Camel concepts and integration lingo in general should also be covered.
I would suggest to be inspired in the chapter 1 of the Camel in Action
book which explains those
http://www.manning.com/ibsen

3)
And yes getting practical and using Camel should be in there as well
- starting CamelContext from Java
- using CamelContext in a Spring XML file
- how to do routing in Java DSL and Spring XML
- using Processor
- using ProducerTemplate
- configuring endpoints using URLs

4)
In term of testing.
- Yeah cover Mock component
- I do NOT think you should cover DataSet as its not commonly used and
people should prefer to use JMeter or some other from for
load/stress/endurance testing
- The Test component is very seldom used, despite its name :)

But it does definitely look good with the current outline.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM, hekonsek <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> My name is Henryk. I wrote here as a JavaBlackBelt administrator
> (http://javablackbelt.com). JBB is a Java certification community focused on
> creating and passing (or failing :P) Java-related exams.
>
> I want to create a "Camel - Basic" exam. It's purpose is to test the
> knowledge of basic usage scenarios of Camel. No expert stuff - just some
> general concepts, basic EI Patterns, some core classes, basic routing and
> Camel testing.
>
> Here (http://docs.google.com/View?id=df3b6kzf_167g8rtd5g3) you can find the
> draft of the exam objectives. It will be divided into four main categories.
> I would be grateful for any comments regarding the objectives structure and
> its content. Maybe I should add/remove/change something? Please note that we
> plan to create detailed exams for specialized Camel topics in the future
> ("Camel Routing", "Camel Components" and so forth).
>
> Kind regards.
>
> ---
> Henryk Konsek

Claus Ibsen