Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Wataru Fukushima <w....@pfu.fujitsu.com> on 2002/11/05 12:59:36 UTC

Way to set another log file for one category with different log level

How can I write log4j.proerties to output two different log files for one
category when each threshold is different?

In other words, I want two output:
  - error.log     for output errors only
  - debug.log     for output all logs

The Java code is something like this:

  Logger log = Logger.getLogger("log")
  log.error("error message");
  log.warn("warning message");

And I want those two files will be:

<error.log>
  error message

<debug.log>
  error message
  warning message

I cannot find out any sample log4j.properties in neither short manual nor
FAQ.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Way to set another log file for one category with different log level

Posted by Wataru Fukushima <w....@pfu.fujitsu.com>.
Thank you for your information, Jake.

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 06:20:45 -0600, according to the article
Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote:

> I guess you could set up two appenders which are referenced in the root
> logger and then have a filter in each appender specifying which log level
> to output.

Actually I did not know that each appender threshold can be set by specifying
  log4j.appender.xxxxx.threshold=XXXX
in log4j.properties.

> >How can I write log4j.proerties to output two different log files for one
> >category when each threshold is different?

Finally I made it by setting log4j.properties as follows:

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG
log4j.category.log=DEBUG, log, errorlog
log4j.appender.log=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.log.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.log.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %F %L %-5p %m%n
log4j.appender.log.File=debug.log
log4j.appender.errorlog=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.errorlog.threshold=ERROR
log4j.appender.errorlog.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.errorlog.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %F %L %-5p %m%n
log4j.appender.errorlog.File=error.log

I could not use root logger since I've used other appenders to write other
logs to other files.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I guess you could set up two appenders which are referenced in the root
logger and then have a filter in each appender specifying which log level
to output.

Jake