Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com> on 2003/06/09 06:16:39 UTC

could not fetch directory entries

I created a new repository and imported a directory tree for revision 1.
I then tried to check out the repository (svn 0.23.0). Each time the
checkout times out on a particular directory:

A  garretwilson.com\www\education\institutions\soas\urdu
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: could not fetch directory entries
svn: PROPFIND request failed on
'/garretwilson.com/!svn/bc/1/www/education/institutions/soas/urdu'
svn: PROPFIND of
'/garretwilson.com/!svn/bc/1/www/education/institutions/soas/urdu':
timed out waiting for server (https://svn.globalmentor.com)

That directory consists of 1141 JPEG and AU files, most of which are
between 1K and 10K in size. Total size of that directory is ~4MB. Should
this overstress Subversion?

Garret

P.S. Right before the timeout occurs, while the checkout is paused on
that directory, I can't seem to access mail or the web site hosted on
the Subversion repository server.

Re: could not fetch directory entries

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com> writes:

> That directory consists of 1141 JPEG and AU files, most of which are
> between 1K and 10K in size. Total size of that directory is
> ~4MB. Should this overstress Subversion?

Yes, this is a problem with apache itself (mod_dav), which I've been
working on.  It can't scale to huge directory listings well.  Apache
isn't streaming back the directory listing; it's building up 1141 XML
entries in memory first, thus the client timeout.

Look for a fix in 0.24, hopefully, assuming we can get the httpd-2.1
fixes backported to httpd-2.0.