Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/02/07 19:16:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.3 release is now available for voting.

The main changes since 8.0.2 are:
- Fix DBCP build
- Update DBCP version to include recent fix for running under a
  security manager without needed to grant additional permissions
  to web applications

The main changes since 8.0.1 are:
- Fix CVE-2014-0050, a DoS related to multi-part processing
- Enable non-blocking reads to take place on non-container threads
- Update to the latest DBCP 2 snapshot
- Fix WebDAV support broken by resources refactoring

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.3/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1005/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_3/

The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
[ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
2014-02-07 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.3 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.2 are:
> - Fix DBCP build
> - Update DBCP version to include recent fix for running under a
>   security manager without needed to grant additional permissions
>   to web applications
>
> The main changes since 8.0.1 are:
> - Fix CVE-2014-0050, a DoS related to multi-part processing
> - Enable non-blocking reads to take place on non-container threads
> - Update to the latest DBCP 2 snapshot
> - Fix WebDAV support broken by resources refactoring
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.3/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1005/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_3/
>
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Checked with applications that use the new specifications features.

Regards
Violeta

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/02/2014 11:05, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:

> Therefore, I guess everything is as you expected in 8.0.3?

Better than that, everything is as I had hoped. It looks like my DBCP 2
changes will work for most folks. I expect someone will find an edge
case eventually but things are looking good at this point.

Thanks for the extra testing.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

On 10.2.2014 10:07, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> In 8.0.1, I needed to add the following configuration to catalina.policy
>> (sensitive parts removed):
>>
>>      permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver)", "resolve";
>>      permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver):(port)",
>> "connect,resolve";
>
> <snip/>
>
> Do you have stack traces for the exceptions related to these? What I
> really want to know is if DBCP 2 is on the code path and if so, what is
> the stack trace from the entry point to DBCP 2 to this exception. If
> DBCP 2 is on the code path, it looks like a PA is required somewhere.

Update: for 8.0.3, I am able to remove not only permissions I initially
reported, but also the following ones:

//    permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"javax.mail.Session.Factory", "read";
//    permission java.net.SocketPermission "(mailserver)", "resolve";
//    permission java.net.SocketPermission "(mailserver):(port)",
"connect,resolve";

//    permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver)", "resolve";
//    permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver):(port)",
"connect,resolve";

----

In the meantime, I also added one new permission for 8.0.3:

permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.jni";

----

Therefore, I guess everything is as you expected in 8.0.3?

----

For clarity, I repeat the list of permissions for 8.0.1, and updated
list for 8.0.3.

8.0.1:

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/(context)/-" {
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "modifyThread";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "setContextClassLoader";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"com.sun.faces.SerializationProvider", "read";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "getClassLoader";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"com.sun.faces.InjectionProvider", "read";
     permission java.io.FilePermission
"file:(...)\\WEB-INF\\lib\\(...)!\\META-INF\\-", "read";

     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "accessDeclaredMembers";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.catalina.util";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.jasper.compiler";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "createClassLoader";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission "openjpa.properties", "read";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"javax.persistence.properties", "read";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission "openjpa.slice.properties",
"read";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"javax.mail.Session.Factory", "read";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(mailserver)", "resolve";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(mailserver):(port)",
"connect,resolve";

     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver)", "resolve";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver):(port)",
"connect,resolve";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2.impl";
     permission javax.management.MBeanServerPermission "createMBeanServer";
     permission javax.management.MBeanPermission
"org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2.impl.GenericObjectPool#-[Catalina:class=javax.sql.DataSource,context=/(context),host=localhost,name=\"(jndiname)\",pool=connections,type=DataSource]",
"registerMBean";

};

----

8.0.3:

[...]

BTW, my webapp is still not 100% functional with security manager, but I
am at least able to access database server using JNDI and DBCP2.
Exceptions I get seems to be completely unrelated to DBCP2 (e.g.
"javax.el.ELException: /(snip).jspx: Property 'contextPath' not found on
type org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade").

-Ognjen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/02/2014 23:28, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> Mark,
>
> On 9.2.2014 2:36, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
>> I also tried to test my production webapps, which also use DBCP2.
>> However I get a lot of AccessControlExceptions, which I resolved one by
>> one. Now I am stucked with particularly stubborn FilePermission problem.
>> If I resolve that one, and other following exceptions I will report the
>> results of testing here.
>
> I got one of my production webapps working (for the most part) with
> security manager in 8.0.1 and 8.0.3.

Many thanks. These results are very interesting. One question in-line...

> In 8.0.1, I needed to add the following configuration to catalina.policy
> (sensitive parts removed):
>
>     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver)", "resolve";
>     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver):(port)",
> "connect,resolve";

<snip/>

Do you have stack traces for the exceptions related to these? What I
really want to know is if DBCP 2 is on the code path and if so, what is
the stack trace from the entry point to DBCP 2 to this exception. If
DBCP 2 is on the code path, it looks like a PA is required somewhere.

Thanks again for working on this.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

On 9.2.2014 2:36, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> I also tried to test my production webapps, which also use DBCP2.
> However I get a lot of AccessControlExceptions, which I resolved one by
> one. Now I am stucked with particularly stubborn FilePermission problem.
> If I resolve that one, and other following exceptions I will report the
> results of testing here.

I got one of my production webapps working (for the most part) with
security manager in 8.0.1 and 8.0.3.

In 8.0.1, I needed to add the following configuration to catalina.policy
(sensitive parts removed):

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/(context)/-" {
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "modifyThread";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "setContextClassLoader";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"com.sun.faces.SerializationProvider", "read";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "getClassLoader";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"com.sun.faces.InjectionProvider", "read";
     permission java.io.FilePermission
"file:(...)\\WEB-INF\\lib\\(...)!\\META-INF\\-", "read";

     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "accessDeclaredMembers";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.catalina.util";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.jasper.compiler";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "createClassLoader";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission "openjpa.properties", "read";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"javax.persistence.properties", "read";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission "openjpa.slice.properties",
"read";
     permission java.util.PropertyPermission
"javax.mail.Session.Factory", "read";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(mailserver)", "resolve";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(mailserver):(port)",
"connect,resolve";

     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver)", "resolve";
     permission java.net.SocketPermission "(dbserver):(port)",
"connect,resolve";
     permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2.impl";
     permission javax.management.MBeanServerPermission "createMBeanServer";
     permission javax.management.MBeanPermission
"org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2.impl.GenericObjectPool#-[Catalina:class=javax.sql.DataSource,context=/(context),host=localhost,name=\"(jndiname)\",pool=connections,type=DataSource]",
"registerMBean";

};

In 8.0.3, I was able to remove following permissions from the above list:

// permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2";
// permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2";
// permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2.impl";
// permission javax.management.MBeanPermission
"org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool2.impl.GenericObjectPool#-[Catalina:class=javax.sql.DataSource,context=/(context),host=localhost,name=\"(jndiname)\",pool=connections,type=DataSource]",
"registerMBean";
// permission javax.management.MBeanServerPermission "createMBeanServer";

HTH,
Ognjen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

On 8.2.2014 12:19, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> - Tested with several webapps that are in active development (Linux).
>
> You mentioned in the 8.0.2 vote that some of these used Tomcat's
> packaged renamed DBCP. I've added support for using that with a security
> manager in 8.0.3 (with apps not needing extra permissions to connect to
> the database).
>
> It works with my simple database app. Any chance you could try it with
> your apps and see if I missed any classes that need to be pre-loaded or
> methods that need PrivilegedActions? I appreciate that enabling the
> security manage may cause all sorts of things to break but if you can
> provide any feedback on DBCP and the security manager that would be great.

I can only confirm what you already know.

In order to isolate the problem with 8.0.2 I created a simple webapp
that uses JNDI lookup to get data source from DBCP2 pool defined in
context.xml.

With that simple webapp, when I enable security manager:

1. with 8.0.1, it throws:
("java.lang.RuntimePermission"
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2")

2. with 8.0.3, it works Ok.

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 7.2.2014 19:16, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.3 release is now available for voting.
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Ubuntu 13.04 32-bit,
java version "1.7.0_51"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.4) (7u51-2.4.4-0ubuntu0.13.10.1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

All tests run successfully with NIO and BIO.

Congratulations!

Brian

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 2/7/2014, 1:16 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.3 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.2 are:
> - Fix DBCP build
> - Update DBCP version to include recent fix for running under a
>    security manager without needed to grant additional permissions
>    to web applications
>
> The main changes since 8.0.1 are:
> - Fix CVE-2014-0050, a DoS related to multi-part processing
> - Enable non-blocking reads to take place on non-container threads
> - Update to the latest DBCP 2 snapshot
> - Fix WebDAV support broken by resources refactoring
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.3/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1005/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_3/
>
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Focused on websocket/asyncContext testing.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Keiichi Fujino <kf...@apache.org>.

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.3 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.2 are:
> - Fix DBCP build
> - Update DBCP version to include recent fix for running under a
>   security manager without needed to grant additional permissions
>   to web applications
>
> The main changes since 8.0.1 are:
> - Fix CVE-2014-0050, a DoS related to multi-part processing
> - Enable non-blocking reads to take place on non-container threads
> - Update to the latest DBCP 2 snapshot
> - Fix WebDAV support broken by resources refactoring
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.3/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1005/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_3/
>
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

+1
Tested on sample apps (enable DeltaManager ).
Works fine.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2014-02-07 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.3 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.2 are:
> - Fix DBCP build
> - Update DBCP version to include recent fix for running under a
>   security manager without needed to grant additional permissions
>   to web applications
>
> The main changes since 8.0.1 are:
> - Fix CVE-2014-0050, a DoS related to multi-part processing
> - Enable non-blocking reads to take place on non-container threads
> - Update to the latest DBCP 2 snapshot
> - Fix WebDAV support broken by resources refactoring
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.3/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1005/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_3/
>
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [x] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Smoke testing OK.
Testsuite with BIO, NIO, APR - OK.
On Windows 7, using Java 7u51 32-bit.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Feb 7, 2014, at 12:16 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.3 release is now available for voting.
>
> <snip />
>
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Smoke tested with several applications, including using Spring, Log4j 2, and WebSockets. All appears to be in order.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [ X ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Looking solid.

Yoav

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.3

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Binding:
Stable: jfarcand
Beta: kkolinko, markt, kfujino, remm, violetagg, yoavs

Non-binding:
Stable: Ognjen Blagojevic, Brian Burch
Beta: Nick Williams

The vote therefore passes and 8.0.3 will be released as beta.

Thank you to everyone for testing and voting.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 07/02/2014 18:16, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed 8.0.3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha  - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (alpha)
> [X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (beta)
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.3 (stable)

Unit tests pass on Windows, Linux and OSX.
DBCP2 is still using a snapshot.

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.