Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Sal Campana <sc...@apache.org> on 2006/03/02 17:23:19 UTC

WSRF/WSRN in Apache and Axis2

Yesterday I sent a statement to the Muse Project announcing that IBM
wishes to contribute the project a foundation for building a next-gen
version of the specs with the focus of running on Axis2.

I am including my statement as an FYI of our intentions to the PMC and
Axis team:

We are currently looking at merging the three Apache projects (WSRF,
Pubscribe and Muse) into a single entity under the Muse project.  While
I have done some work on this there have been other things happening
which have made me reconsider the project as a whole.

We have been talking with a team at IBM, whom we work with through the
spec committees, to do a joint next-generation implementation of WSDM,
and its sub-specifications.  The implementation would not only position
the WSDM effort in a more future-proof way (i.e. move towards WSDM 2.0),
but continue to move the project forward in a positive direction.  IBM
has code which they would like to contribute as the foundation for this
effort.  The code will initially be run in Axis2 which would please
those who are seeking an Axis2 implementation of WSDM (WSRF,WSRN, etc).
IBM is willing to contribute base code, which will be reviewed by us,
and developers to the effort.  IBM would like to be part of moving the
Apache WSDM effort forward, and is excited about the possibilities of
being part of the project.  They are even planning on contributing
tooling around this effort to the Eclipse Project.

I believe this to be the right thing to do for the direction of the Muse
project.  Bringing IBM to the project will entice more users, generate
more interest in the project and bring more active committers moving the
effort forward.