Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/07/01 13:42:58 UTC

Re: [VOTE] New component: Rational numbers

Hi Benedikt.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:43:08 +0000, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> schrieb am Di., 21. Juni 2016
> um
> 21:32 Uhr:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
>> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
>>
>> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>>    Representation of rational numbers
>>
>> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and
>> packages:
>>    org.apache.commons.math4.fraction
>> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>>

>> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/fraction;h=446df46270ea0d00b7b23b603ca153df9ec18ffa;hb=refs/heads/develop
>>
>> Notes:
>>   * This component will depend on the "Standard math functions"
>> component
>>     (cf. other VOTE thread).
>>   * Code size: ~1400 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>>   * API: stable.
>>   * Estimated minimum Java version: 5 (?)
>>
>> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
>> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
>> support,
>> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>>
>> [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
>> [ x ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...
>>

> Feels to much like a math component to me. Could better live in a
> Math TLP.

Since there is a similar functionality in Commons Lang, I would
think that we'd either consider that it is common enough or that
you think that it should be removed from Commons Lang.

Do you strongly oppose that Rob Tompkins tries to rationalize the
implementations?
[I assume that the goal would be to either have a new component
(and deprecate the functionality in CL) or to validate and enhance
the functionality in CL (ensuring that it is at least as complete,
as accurate and as fast as the version in CM).]

As various people noted in the past months and weeks, it would not
be nice to a new contributor to let him work and then not integrate
it on the basis that this goal was not a consensus.

Thanks for reconsidering,
Gilles

Re: [VOTE] New component: Rational numbers

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 [As contributor, not committer]