Posted to sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/06 02:18:33 UTC

Re: Questions

   Can anyone help me build our first binary and source distributions?
 I think its fairly clear what we want in each distribution.

Binary:
.jar of the core classes.
javadocs
license info etc.

Source:
source of all of the classes (including unit tests, example code, etc.)
javadocs
license info etc.

   I need help with two things:

   First, there's a number of details mentioned in
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html that I don't
understand.  For example, "Check that LICENSE and NOTICE documents
contain required sections."  I'm also unclear on how signing should
work.

   Secondly, how exactly do we go about releasing these builds?  ie.
do we build locally and upload?  To what server & where?  Or are
release builds generated by an automated build system?

Thanks,
   Charles.

Re: Questions

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
I've fixed this Carsten; sorry about that.

Charles.

Re: Questions

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

On Dec 10, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>> We can use maven to build the distribution, maven is also able to
>> directly sign the release etc.

Please refer to http://wiki.apache.org/jdo/KeysAtApache?highlight=%
28key%29%7C%28signing%29 for key information.

>> I think we need some additional
>> information in our pom for this (I have to look at the maven docs
>> for this).
>> The release should be signed, so people can download the release and
>> verify the signature.

The maven plugin helps but doesn't replace the need to understand
what keys are and how they work.

Anyone who will cut the release needs to have a release-signing key.
While in the incubator, it's not a requirement that the key be signed
by others, but afterwards the release manager really should have the
key signed.

Craig

Re: Questions

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.