Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robert Clarke <r....@bilk.ac.uk> on 2004/05/14 11:20:09 UTC

Cocoon Books

Hi
I was wandering if anyone was working on a Cocoon Book that will deal with
the vast range of new features it has aquired over it's 2.1 release. Whilst
I am capable of individually understanding Cforms, Flow and JXTemplates the
problem seems to be knowing exactly how to design and structure various
kinds of applications that combine these features with all the existing
features of Cocoon. Recent threads on this list seem to suggest that I'm not
alone.

When I first started experimenting with Cocoon ~18 months ago Langham and
Ziegelers 'Cocoon:Building XML Applications' was pretty indispensable in
giving me a good overview of how to properly build Cocoon apps. Whilst
example apps, wiki docs and posts to this list are all useful, nothing would
be as useful as a complete and up to date book!

Thanks
Rob

Re: Cocoon Books

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Matthew Langham wrote:
[...]

>This means that some books on a particular subject have fallen by
>the wayside. Our Cocoon book is an example. Our last information from the
>publisher was that there are no plans to do a new version - even though we
>may perhaps want to.

That is a shame!
This book could as well have the title "Cocoon Bible".
A must have for every user and dev!
Would be even better if there is a second part!

Matthew tell your publisher you already sold 3 books (of the new
version)! :)

King regards and grettings to Paderborn

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la InformaciĆ³n S.A.U.
Avda. de la Arboleda s/n
41940 - Tomares,  (Sevilla)

String replacement within the sitemap?

Posted by Philipp Burkert <ma...@burkert.de>.
Hej folks,

is there a simple way to do string replacement within the sitemap?

I have to modify a string I fetch from the URL and have to replace all
occurrences of a specific character. I dream of something like

   replace({1},'_',' ')

Thankx a lot:

PHILIPP BURKERT
mailings@burkert.de

Re: Cocoon Books

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Matthew Langham wrote:
[...]

>This means that some books on a particular subject have fallen by
>the wayside. Our Cocoon book is an example. Our last information from the
>publisher was that there are no plans to do a new version - even though we
>may perhaps want to.

That is quite a pitty!
It is a real great book!
I would say kind of a "cocoon bible"!
...a must have for every cocoon user and dev!
...but enough advertisement otherwise people think I get endorsement  ;).
...and we are talking about
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735712352/ref=sib_rdr_dp/102-7950813-8747313?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books

King regards and greetings to Paderborn ;-).

RE: Cocoon Books

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
> Perhaps the authors of the first Cocoon books could tell us
> whether they got any new business from writing the books?
> That might encourage more people to write Cocoon books.

I hear the call :-)

Ok, first thing to say is that the IT book market is still a mess at the
moment (as it has been for the past 2-3 years). Publishers are very wary
about bringing out new books (especially on non-mainstream subjects). Also,
especially in the US, many publishers have merged their inprints - meaning
that some (such as Pearson) ended up with a couple of Cocoon books (for
example). This means that some books on a particular subject have fallen by
the wayside. Our Cocoon book is an example. Our last information from the
publisher was that there are no plans to do a new version - even though we
may perhaps want to.

Writing a book (an IT one especially) is - as Erik Hatcher wrote [1] - "one
of life's greatest sacrifices"

While you shouldn't think of writing an IT book to get rich (although a few
may), it can certainly help to make you (or your company) known as someone
with know-how on the subject ("personal marketing" if you will). In the end
we did get a bit of business from the book but certainly not very much. To
that respect I would think that articles in key IT magazines (and the online
versions) are more worthwhile at the moment.

Your mileage may of course vary.

Matthew

[1] - http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/1239

Re: Cocoon Books

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@owal.co.uk>.
> Robert Clarke wrote:
>
>> > I was wandering if anyone was working on a Cocoon Book that will
>> deal with
>> > the vast range of new features it has aquired over it's 2.1 release.
>
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

 > Strongly agree!

> > Would be nice seeing a book that deals with 2.1 new features! ...and
> I think it wouldn't be a waste of time for the author (2 sold books
> allready ;-)).

Perhaps the authors of the first Cocoon books could tell us whether they
got any new business from writing the books? That might encourage more
people to write Cocoon books.

Alex

Re: Cocoon Books

Posted by Michael Wolf <wu...@scirem.de>.
> Strongly agree!
> Would be nice seeing a book that deals with 2.1 new features! ...and I
> think it wouldn't be a waste of time for the author (2 sold books
> allready ;-)).

Make it 3!

Michael Wolf

Re: Cocoon Books

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Robert Clarke wrote:

>Hi
>I was wandering if anyone was working on a Cocoon Book that will deal with
>the vast range of new features it has aquired over it's 2.1 release. Whilst
>I am capable of individually understanding Cforms, Flow and JXTemplates the
>problem seems to be knowing exactly how to design and structure various
>kinds of applications that combine these features with all the existing
>features of Cocoon. Recent threads on this list seem to suggest that I'm not
>alone.

Strongly agree!
Would be nice seeing a book that deals with 2.1 new features! ...and I
think it wouldn't be a waste of time for the author (2 sold books
allready ;-)).

>When I first started experimenting with Cocoon ~18 months ago Langham and
>Ziegelers 'Cocoon:Building XML Applications' was pretty indispensable in
>giving me a good overview of how to properly build Cocoon apps. Whilst
>example apps, wiki docs and posts to this list are all useful, nothing would
>be as useful as a complete and up to date book!

This book is really good but like you stated there are heaps of new
stuff around cocoon! Maybe the can write it as  'Cocoon:Building
Advanced XML Applications' the second part of the first book!

regards
thorsten