Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Johann Höchtl <h....@ic-drei.de> on 2011/11/21 11:55:30 UTC

Pending ReadStage is exploding on only one node

Hi all,

I'm experiencing strange behaviour of my 6-node cassandra cluster and I
hope some one can explain, what I'm doing wrong.

The setting:
6-Cassandra Nodes 1.0.3
Random Partitioning
The ColumnFamily in question has a replication factor of 2 and stores
products of different shops with a secondary index on shop_id.

Twice a day, I do an update of the data with the following mechanism:
Get all keys of a shop.
Read the new CSV.
Insert the rows from the csv, which keys are not present and delete the
rows which are not longer present.
Update all prices of the products from the csv and set an update_date.

I'm measuring a high load value on a few nodes during the update process
(which is normal), but one node keeps the high load after the process
for a long time.
I checked the tpstats and found out, that on this node there are over
50k pending ReadStage tasks.
All the other nodes don't have that behaviour.

I already had this problem on cassandra 0.7, but after upgrading to 0.8
it disappeared. Now it is back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hans

Re: Pending ReadStage is exploding on only one node

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> I'm measuring a high load value on a few nodes during the update process
> (which is normal), but one node keeps the high load after the process for a
> long time.

I would say that either the reading that you to is overloading that
one node and other traffic is getting piled up as a result, or you're
stomping on page cache by reading a lot from that one node (e.g. using
CL.ONE) and you're then seeing readstage backed up until the page
cache or row cache is warm again.

In general, unless you're running at close to full CPU capacity it
sounds like you're completely disk bound, and that'll show up as a
huge amount of pending ReadStage. "iostat -x -k 1" should confirm it.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)

Re: Pending ReadStage is exploding on only one node

Posted by Shotaro Kamio <ka...@gmail.com>.
Even if your query contains multiple columns which have secondary index on
each, current cassandra uses only one of them as a hash lookup. Other
columns are for filtering out from matched results. If a part of your
secondary index query has a lot of matches in data, cassandra has to
iterate over matched rows for filtering out. That request may take time to
complete and may get piled up.

Regards,
Shotaro

Posted by Johann Höchtl <h....@ic-drei.de>.

AW: Pending ReadStage is exploding on only one node

[cid:image001.jpg@01CCA9E7.8ED1B7B0]<http://www.ic3.de/>

Posted by Johann Höchtl <h....@ic-drei.de>.
Yes, it's random partioned.

Posted by Jahangir Mohammed <md...@gmail.com>.