Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marco A.G.Pinto" <ma...@mail.telepac.pt> on 2013/05/11 14:47:49 UTC

Proofing Tool GUI V1.0 - alpha 1 - build 3

Hello!

Here is another screenshot of the current status of the tool:
http://i.imgur.com/Ir0Dloi.png

I am progressing slowly as I am involved in several other things.

I would like to ask if the copyright I placed at the bottom of the
window is the correct one: I want the tool to be freely copied and
compiled on other platforms such as Linux, Mac, Amiga. But, I don't want
people to change the code and then release the tool as if were them who
coded it.

I have made tests opening the English .DAT file with 145866 synonyms and
it took the following time:
- Windows EXE (x86): 1:47 min
- Windows EXE (x64): 1:36 min (less 11 seconds)

After I have a more stable version I would like it to be uploaded to the
community for people to feel the touch. How can it be done?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
            ------------------------

Re: Proofing Tool GUI V1.0 - alpha 1 - build 3

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 11/05/2013 Marco A.G.Pinto wrote:
> Here is another screenshot of the current status of the tool:
> http://i.imgur.com/Ir0Dloi.png

Good. It looks like this could be an interesting tool for the l10n
volunteers who don't have a lot of technical knowledge.

> I would like to ask if the copyright I placed at the bottom of the
> window is the correct one: I want the tool to be freely copied and
> compiled on other platforms such as Linux, Mac, Amiga. But, I don't want
> people to change the code and then release the tool as if were them who
> coded it.

Many free software licenses will cover this basic requirement, and you
can find plenty of information online about the differences among free
software licenses.

Since your tool is meant to be a companion to Apache OpenOffice, you
might consider distributing it under the Apache License, version 2.0.
See http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#WhatDoesItMEAN for
a brief explanation (note: when it says that it requires to "provide
clear attribution to The Apache Software Foundation", in your case it
means "provide clear attribution to Marco A.G.Pinto", of course), and
see http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html for the full license
text.

> I have made tests opening the English .DAT file with 145866 synonyms and
> it took the following time:
> - Windows EXE (x86): 1:47 min
> - Windows EXE (x64): 1:36 min (less 11 seconds)

This is still quite slow compared to OpenOffice. OpenOffice opens a
thesaurus (at least for lookup) almost instantly. Maybe you can take
advantage of the OpenOffice code for hints on how to speed up things,
there is some parsing code in MyThes within the OpenOffice external
components:
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/ext_sources/067201ea8b126597670b5eff72e1f66c-mythes-1.2.0.tar.gz.dir/mythes-1.2.0/

> After I have a more stable version I would like it to be uploaded to the
> community for people to feel the touch. How can it be done?

For sure we will want to involve the Localization list and tell them
that the tool is available:

   Andrea.