Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by Ma...@equifax.com on 2006/06/23 15:46:31 UTC

Exception when shutting down UDP discovery

Is there a way to make UDP discovery shut down clean without throwing
errors?

INFO |23 Jun 2006 09:42:42,984|-127.0.0.1
|.discovery.UDPDiscoveryService|Shutting down UDP discovery service
receiver.|
ERROR|23 Jun 2006 09:42:42,986|Thread-23
|discovery.UDPDiscoveryReceiver|Error receving multicast packet|
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.peekData(Native Method)
        at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:662)
        at
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.lateral.socket.tcp.discovery.UDPDiscoveryReceiver.waitForMessage(UDPDiscoveryReceiver.java:159)
        at
org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.lateral.socket.tcp.discovery.UDPDiscoveryReceiver.run(UDPDiscoveryReceiver.java:182)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
DEBUG|23 Jun 2006 09:42:42,987|Thread-23 |discovery.UDPDiscoveryReceiver|35
messages received.|
WARN |23 Jun 2006 09:42:42,987|Thread-23
|discovery.UDPDiscoveryReceiver|message is null|
INFO |23 Jun 2006 09:42:42,996|-127.0.0.1
|.discovery.UDPDiscoveryService|Shutting down UDP discovery service
sender.|

This is how I initialize the cache:
    compositeCacheManager =
CompositeCacheManager.getUnconfiguredInstance();
    compositeCacheManager.configure( configurator.getProperties() );
    cacheAccess = new CacheAccess( compositeCacheManager.getCache(
CACHE_NAME ) );

and this is how I shut it down:
    compositeCacheManager.shutDown();

Exception happens when calling shutDown().

Using version 1.2.7.6.

Thanks,

Marek Cyzio
Equifax
(770)740-6610
Marek.Cyzio@equifax.com
This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be
confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please
refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
information and note that such actions are prohibited.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify by e-mail
postmaster@equifax.com.

Re: Timeout for determining a remote cache is down, and to reconnect

Posted by Pa...@kohls.com.
Yes, I have tried those params other than I've increased the "gcInterval"
to 3600000 because at 600000 this would put a full GC right in the middle
of my busiest time and cause instability.  I may go even higher than
3600000 because the regular GC algorithms seem to give the best overall GC
pattern.

Paul

             "Alistair Forbes"
             <forbes.al@google
             mail.com>                                                  To
                                       "JCS Users List"
             06/27/2006 12:10          <jc...@jakarta.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Timeout for determining a
             "JCS Users List"          remote cache is down, and to
             <jcs-users@jakart         reconnect
               a.apache.org>

Hi Paul,

I get the same errors from the remote cache - 1.5 GB. I have not tried
changing the gc params yet. Have you tried these?

       -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000 \
       -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000 \
       -Dsun.rmi.transport.tcp.connectionPool=true \

Regards
Al

On 6/27/06, Paul.Lewandowski@kohls.com <Pa...@kohls.com> wrote:

> Some additional information:
>
> I looked at my std-err logs after the run and saw the following sequences
> of messages:
>
> [ERROR] RemoteCache - -Disabling remote cache due to error Failed to put
> 195717::147343 to 1862_object
> IDToAttributes
> [ERROR] RemoteCache - -Disabling remote cache due to error Failed to put
> 159971247 to 1862_ProductIDTo
> Promotions
> [ERROR] RemoteCache - -java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling
> return header: java.io.Interrup
> tedIOException: Read timed out
> [ERROR] RemoteCache - -Disabling remote cache due to error Failed to get
> 194388175 from 1862_contentID
> ToContent
> [ERROR] RemoteCache - -java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling
> return header: java.io.Interrup
> tedIOException: Read timed out
> [ERROR] RemoteCache - -java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling
> return header: java.io.Interrup
> tedIOException: Read timed out
> [WARN] RemoteCacheFailoverRunner - -Failed to reconnect to primary
server.
> Cache failover runner is go
> ing to sleep for 20000 milliseconds.
> [WARN] RemoteCacheFailoverRunner - -Failed to reconnect to primary
server.
> Cache failover runner is go
> ing to sleep for 20000 milliseconds.
> [WARN] RemoteCacheFailoverRunner - -Failed to reconnect to primary
server.
> Cache failover runner is go
> ing to sleep for 20000 milliseconds.
>
> There were three GC's on the remote caching server (3.5 sec, 10.5 sec.
and
> 11.2 sec) that coincide with the 3 occasions of this type of error
> message.
>
> Paul
>

>              Paul.Lewandowski@
>              kohls.com

>              06/27/2006 11:14          "JCS Users List"
>              AM                        <jc...@jakarta.apache.org>

cc

>              Please respond to
Subject

Posted by Alistair Forbes <fo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Aaron Smuts <as...@yahoo.com>.
I run a cluster of two remote servers.  I put around
20 million items into the remote server across a few
regions.  I am using the JDBC disk cache backed by
MySQL.  I use different tables for different regions.
I can retrieve hundreds of items from the cache per
second.

Adding a node to the cluster imposes a performance
penalty for puts.  But it gives you redundancy and the
ability to spread the load for gets.

If you have an extremely high hit rate, and a low put
rate, then it might make sense to add more nodes to
the remote server cluster.  But you'd only see a
benefit if you configured some of your servers to use
different remote caches as the primary.  That is you
could have a list of 4 remote servers.  This list
would be ordered differently in your various clients.

You will probably need only two, depending on your
load.

Also, I'm working on s simple way for you to be able
to partition data across different remote nodes.  For
isntance, if you had numeric keys, and if you had two
clusters, you could put odd keys in one and even in
the other.   . . . Basically, this makes the remote
cache infinitely scalable.   . . .

Aaron

--- Paul.Lewandowski@kohls.com wrote:

> Thanks.  I will be implementing a failover cluster
> shortly and realize that
> this will minimize the impact.  In production, I
> will have a total of 4
> remote caching servers with 6 application servers
> pointing to one as
> primary.  Do you have a recommendation on if I
> should just configure one
> failover or use all 4?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul
>

>              Aaron Smuts
>
>              <asmuts@yahoo.com
>
>              >
>                                        JCS Users
> List
>              06/27/2006 12:25
> <jc...@jakarta.apache.org>
>              PM
>                    cc
>

>               Subject
>              Please respond to         Re: Timeout
> for determining a
>              "JCS Users List"          remote cache
> is down, and to
>              <jcs-users@jakart         reconnect
>
>                a.apache.org>

> You can set the timeout for the client, using this
> parameter:

jcs.auxiliary.RC.attributes.RmiSocketFactoryTimeoutMillis=30000

> [...]
> >

> > In my testing I have occasionally seen my
> > application (client side)
> > determine that the remote cahce server is down
> when
> > in fact it is not.
> > Also, it then enters a retry cycle of 20000
> > milliseconds before
> > reconnecting.
> >
> > What I believe may be happening is that because we
> > are using a 2 gig remote
> > cache when a large GC cycle occurs perhaps the
> > client side thinks that the
> > remote server is down depending on what the value
> is
> > that determines this.
> > Can you please explain this algorithm and if it
> can
> > be user configurable?
> >
> > Also, 20000 milliseconds is too long for a retry
> > under heavy production
> > loads.  Is this retry interval also configurable?

=== message truncated ===

Posted by Aaron Smuts <as...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Exception when shutting down UDP discovery

Posted by Aaron Smuts <as...@yahoo.com>.
Sure. I'll see if I can figure out why this is
happening.

It's recommended that you use the JCS convenience
class rather than CacheAccess directly.  If just for
simplicities sake. . .

Cheers,

Aaron