Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by David Hawthorne <dh...@3crowd.com> on 2010/07/30 01:13:31 UTC

multiple readers from same queue for performance purposes

I'm looking at attempting to speed up the draining of a queue with multiple readers.  Is this even possible?  I wouldn't want each client to get the same message, I'd want them to simply get the next message in the queue.

Thanks!
Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: multiple readers from same queue for performance purposes

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.
David,

My article demonstrates how to subscribe many local queues to the same
server queue.  When you do this, messages placed in the server queue are
read by the local queues in round-robin fashion.  So, if you have ten
servers that you'd like to use for a particular operation, you'd declare
one server queue for that operation, and subscribe ten local queues -
each server having one local queue - to the server queue.  In this way,
when the server queue fills up it will distribute the messages to the
servers in a round-robin fashion.

--Josh

Posted by David Hawthorne <dh...@3crowd.com>.

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.
Hello David,

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 07/30/2010 12:13 AM, David Hawthorne wrote:
> I'm looking at attempting to speed up the draining of a queue with multiple readers.  Is this even possible?

Yes.

> I wouldn't want each client to get the same message, I'd want them to simply get the next message in the queue.

That is the default behaviour for multiple subscribers on the same queue.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org