Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> on 2016/07/11 05:00:50 UTC

Arrow Board Report: Request for Feedback

Hello All,

Can I get some feedback and additional details to add to the Arrow Board
Report. See my draft below:

thanks,
Jacques

Arrow is a columnar in-memory analytics layer designed to accelerate big
data.
It houses a set of canonical in-memory representations of flat and
hierarchical data along with multiple language-bindings for structure
manipulation. It also provides IPC and common algorithm implementations.

## Issues:

- There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
- Awareness continues to increase with the community having done
presentations
  at various meetups as well as the following conferences: Pydata Paris,
Hadoop
  Summit Ireland, Hadoop Summit San Jose and Berlin Buzzwords.
- The CPP and Python work has seen steady progress and development of a
  Parquet <> Arrow interchange layer is improving. A small number of people
are
  actively moving that forward.
- Java development has slowed some but appears to be picking up again.

## Health report:
- Discussion and code activity has been sporadic. We saw a good initial
flurry
  of activity but need to make the project more approachable for new users.
We
  can do this by doing the following:
- We need to get a first release done.
- We need to put together a quickstart and demo application for new users.

## PMC changes:

- Currently 17 PMC members.
- No new PMC members added in the last 3 months.
- Last PMC addition was Abdel Hakim Deneche on Tue Jan 20 2016

## Committer base changes:

- Currently 20 committers.
- Last committer addition was Ippokratis Pandis at Thu Feb 18 2016

## Releases:

- No releases yet.

## JIRA activity:

Re: Arrow Board Report: Request for Feedback

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
+1, thanks Jacques

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
+1 looks good!

Posted by Uwe Korn <uw...@xhochy.com>.
Hello Jacques,

we could also add the Feather format [1] from Wes and Hadley Wickham to
the list. It uses the Arrow spec to provide a common columnar
interchange format for Python and R DataFrames. With speed and
interoperability it has the same core values as Arrow itself. With it we
have already got a userbase with a native (non-JVM ;)) implementation of
Arrow. Through its buzz it also spurred some interest in Arrow in the
Julia community (though I'm not clear how far they actually got with
their prototype implementation).

Uwe

[1] https://github.com/wesm/feather

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.