Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Vadim Kisselmann <v....@googlemail.com> on 2012/01/26 17:03:09 UTC

decreasing of maxFieldLength in solrconfig.xml doesn't work

Hello Folks,
i want to decrease the max. number of terms for my fields to 500.
I thought what the maxFieldLength parameter in solrconfig.xml is
intended for this.
In my case it doesn't work.

The half of my text fields includes longer text(about 10000 words).
With 100 docs in my index i had an segment size of 1140KB for indexed
data and 270KB for stored data (.fdx, .fdt).
After a change from default <maxFieldLength>10000</maxFieldLength> to
<maxFieldLength>500</maxFieldLength>,
delete(index folder), restarting Tomcat and reindex, i see the same
segment sizes (1140KB for indexed and 270KB for stored data).

Please tell me if I made an error in reasoning.

Regards
Vadim

Re: decreasing of maxFieldLength in solrconfig.xml doesn't work

Posted by Sean Adams-Hiett <se...@webgeeksforhire.com>.
Vadim,

Is it possible that your solrconfig.xml is using maxFieldLength in both the
<indexDefaults> and <mainIndex>?

If so the mainIndex config overwrites the other.  See this issue:
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-ignoring-maxFieldLength-td473263.html

Sean

--
Sean Adams-Hiett
Owner, Web Geeks For Hire

Re: decreasing of maxFieldLength in solrconfig.xml doesn't work

Posted by Vadim Kisselmann <v....@googlemail.com>.
P.S.:

Posted by Vadim Kisselmann <v....@googlemail.com>.
Sean, Ahmet,
thanks for response:)

I use Solr 4.0 from trunk.
In my solrconfig.xml is only one maxFieldLength param.
I think it is deprecated in Solr Versions 3.5+...

But LimitTokenCountFilterFactory works in my case :)
Thanks!

Regards
Vadim

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.