Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org> on 2006/10/28 17:46:09 UTC

wrap up from the software summit

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know about last week @ the software summit
(www.softwaresummit.com).

I presented;

http://bill.dudney.net/roller/resources/bill/Cayenne.pdf

at the conference.

There were about 600 people there and about 60 or 70 made it to one
of the talks I did on Cayenne. Generally everyone liked the idea of
Cayenne, there was a broad range of experience with R/O mapping, some
had done hibernate but many were doing straight JDBC or iBatis. The
JDBC'ers were very impressed with Cayenne, and the hibernater's were
pumped about the modeler :-)

Over all Cayenne was well received and I hope to see at least a
little of an uptick in the user list and maybe a new developer or two.

A couple of specific observations;

1) JPA support was high on many folks list of stuff that they wanted
to see.
2) One of the guys at the show backed up cayenne modeler to his 500+
table oracle db and the modeler pulled in all the metadata
flawlessly. He was quite impressed!
3) A lot of people still don't get the R/O thing. I was surprised at
the # of folks using iBatis to manage complex object graphs and
essentially re-implementing the relationship handling code on top of
iBatis.

If you have any notes or comments on the preso please feel free to
send them to me. I'll be updating the preso and giving it again I'm
sure. On that note it is licensed under creative commons so feel free
to use it at your local JUG or whatever to spread the word about
Cayenne.

TTFN,

-bd-

Re: wrap up from the software summit

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Very cool! I suggest that we add an entry about the presentation to
the Cayenne Wiki news section and link to it from the front page. If
you need more info on how to do that, please ping me on the dev list.

> 1) JPA support was high on many folks list of stuff that they
> wanted to see.

Yeah, I would imagine that.

> 2) One of the guys at the show backed up cayenne modeler to his 500
> + table oracle db and the modeler pulled in all the metadata
> flawlessly. He was quite impressed!

> 3) A lot of people still don't get the R/O thing. I was surprised
> at the # of folks using iBatis to manage complex object graphs and
> essentially re-implementing the relationship handling code on top
> of iBatis.

Interesting. I guess commoditization of Java ORM via EJB3 spec may
change this. And it is always good to know that there is still a wide
developer audience out there that is yet to discover the wonders of
ORM :-)

Andrus

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.
On 29/10/2006, at 1:46 AM, Bill Dudney wrote:

> A lot of people still don't get the R/O thing.

Maybe you could add a couple of things to your presentation:

* multiple DataNodes. People will immediately see a difference when
compared to hard coding SQL statements through their application.
* showing how an existing legacy database can be refactored without
touching the db schema
* 3 tier, along with caching and paging.

These are things which will probably impress people who currently do
things the hard way.

Very interesting work though Bill. Maybe there is scope for a
presentation like this to be built on and made part of the Cayenne
docs. It could be flash, pdf or even a video presentation.

Ari Maniatis

-------------------------->
ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001

Re: wrap up from the software summit

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Hey Andrus,

Sorry for being lazy... I should have known this, I thought our site
was still being pulled from the objectspace site, but I didn't look
into it.

Thanks,
-bd-

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.