Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2007/09/21 15:23:39 UTC

Re: Subtyping uima.cas.String

On 9/21/07, Thomas Francart <th...@mondeca.com> wrote:
>  I want to define my own feature type by subtyping uima.cas.String; this
> feature is called "anyURI", and is meant, well, to store URI (which are
> strings with special formatting constraints). So I have 1/ the type "anyURI"
> declared in my type system as a subtype of uima.cas.String and 2/ other
> features on other types declared with a range of "anyURI".

Hi Thomas,

The only way in which UIMA currently supports subtyping
uima.cas.String is where you specify a set of literal allowed values.
See http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.0-incubating/docs/html/references/references.html#ugr.ref.xml.component_descriptor.type_system.string_subtypes.

If you want you can specify a Type AnyURI that extends TOP, and give
it a String feature called for example "uri".  Then you could modify
the JCAS-generated AnyURI.setUri() method to enforce correct URI
syntax.

Regards,
-Adam