Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net> on 2001/08/18 16:01:57 UTC

[C2 patch] appending to cocoon.log

Hi All,

	Hope all is well.

	Attached is a patch which adds support for appending to the cocoon.log
	log file. The patch adds an init-param in the web.xml, which is read
	by CocoonServlet and passed accordingly to the FileTarget logkit
	constructor.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [C2 patch] appending to cocoon.log

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Quoting "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>:

> Hi, Marcus and all!
>
> > Hi Vadim,
> >
> > On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> >
> > > Hm. Interesting question. :)
> > > I just modified this so it's compatible with other boolean settings.
> > > "True" might be overkill - next thing you know people will ask about
> internationalization ;)
> >
> > *nod* Point taken.
> >
> > I just noticed that log-format and show-time use equalsIgnoreCase() so
> > we already have a discrepancy there. :-(
> >
> > Just being picky herer, but the other thing is that (general with most
> > of the options):
> >
> > true equates to true, as expected
> > false equates to false, as expected
> >
> > with the current implementation,
> >
> > False also equates to false, as most would probably expect
> > FALSE also equates to false, as most would probably expect
> >
> > but
> >
> > True equates to false, not what most would expect
> > TRUE equates to false, not what most would expect
> >
> > This could cause some configuration woes for the unwary.
> >
> > Another general question here, the current implementation appends to
> > log files if the init parameter is not set (ie. if
> > getInitParameter("log-append") returns null) - do we want this to be
> > the case ?
>
> Is it possible to have log files like in Tomcat (and Apache Web Server
> as
> well), when the log file name includes the time of creation or some
> other
> unique ID? In my opinion, there must be an option like 'create-new' (or
> do
> it by default, if no 'log-append' param found). In that case, your old
> log
> files won't be rewritten if you restart the server and you'll get a new
> log
> file for every instance (server restart).

This gets fixed as soon as the new LogKit is out. Carsten and others have
contributed a lot of new FileTargets with log rotation strategies and file
naming strategies. Also the LogKitManagement (which will be in excaliburs
scratchpad soon) will enable you to specify a Logger per component. So, things
get in the right directon but not as fast as people will except (voluntary work,
alltogether)

Giacomo

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
Hi, Marcus and all!

> Hi Vadim,
>
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > Hm. Interesting question. :)
> > I just modified this so it's compatible with other boolean settings.
> > "True" might be overkill - next thing you know people will ask about
internationalization ;)

> *nod* Point taken.
>
> I just noticed that log-format and show-time use equalsIgnoreCase() so
> we already have a discrepancy there. :-(
>
> Just being picky herer, but the other thing is that (general with most
> of the options):
>
> true equates to true, as expected
> false equates to false, as expected
>
> with the current implementation,
>
> False also equates to false, as most would probably expect
> FALSE also equates to false, as most would probably expect
>
> but
>
> True equates to false, not what most would expect
> TRUE equates to false, not what most would expect
>
> This could cause some configuration woes for the unwary.
>
> Another general question here, the current implementation appends to
> log files if the init parameter is not set (ie. if
> getInitParameter("log-append") returns null) - do we want this to be
> the case ?

Is it possible to have log files like in Tomcat (and Apache Web Server as
well), when the log file name includes the time of creation or some other
unique ID? In my opinion, there must be an option like 'create-new' (or do
it by default, if no 'log-append' param found). In that case, your old log
files won't be rewritten if you restart the server and you'll get a new log
file for every instance (server restart).

> Cheers,
>
> Marcus

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian

RE: [C2 patch] appending to cocoon.log

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.

My doing - I spent a couple of days looking for a 'bug' that didn't exist
and all because I hadn't set something in the web.xml file.

When I (eventually :) get ssh access through the firewall at work, I'll be
quite happy to go through looking for these little gems and adding the log
message - if people want...?

While I don't mind picking up the defaults it is useful (I think) to have
the defaults logged.  This means that when folks send us their log we can
see their settings...?  Huh, maybe we ought to log _all_ settings whether
specified or default?

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > 		True equates to false, not what most would expect
> > 		TRUE equates to false, not what most would expect
> >
> > 	This could cause some configuration woes for the unwary.
>
> Point taken :)

	:-)

	Thanks for making the changes.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <vg...@hns.com>.

Don't know.

Vadim

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Vadim,

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <vg...@yahoo.com>.
Hm. Interesting question. :)

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
If yes (and I'm +0), then all of the other tests which are similar should
also be altered.

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <vg...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Log Rolling in Logkit CVS!!!! (was Re: [C2 patch] appending to cocoon.log)

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
I wasn't expecting him to write it from scratch! :)  I expected (but didn't
know) that LogKit would have this capability.

BTW, is it 'rolling' or 'rotating'?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, John Morrison wrote:

> Marcus,
>
> If you have the time and inclination to play in the area - how about a
> rolling log of some description?

Rolling log? In the newest LogKit there are LogTargets that are able to
rotate logs by size and/or time. Wait a few days to see a LogKit Manager
springing up in the Avalon lists which will be integrated into Cocoon
very soon (hopefully before the final release, but you never know ...)

Giacomo

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, John Morrison wrote:

> > On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, John Morrison wrote:
> >
> > > If you have the time and inclination to play in the area - how about a
> > > rolling log of some description?
> >
> > 	If you have the init-param set in the web.xml, then the following
> > 	string will be added to the log file upon every startup:
> >
> > 	'Appending to previous log file, if existing'
> >
> > 	Is this what you mean ?
>
> Not quite, I mean that Cocoon starts a new log every X hours
> (/minutes/ampm/days/[insert time period here]), ie the log 'rolls' every few
> hours (or days).  I *believe* it's built in functionality to the logger, but
> I don't have the time to investigate.

	*nod*.. I see what you mean. So the log file should rotate and after a
	defined time period. I've seen a bit of traffic about this on the
	avalon-dev mailing list recently. I'll take a look into it.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
Hiya,

Thanks for doing the work ;)

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.