Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kaan Erdener <ke...@rackspace.com> on 2006/11/29 07:28:16 UTC

changes in Lucene not visible through Solr

hello,

I'm pulling data into Lucene several times an hour, approaching a
total document count of  ~2 million. Sometimes I pull in brand new
data, other times I replace an existing document with an updated
copy. The number of documents that I update in Lucene will pretty
much never be more than a thousand or so.

I have a Solr interface exposed to another part of our system, and
it's basically sitting on top of Lucene as a read-only view into the
index. I can perform updates and optimizations in Lucene and Solr
will keep searching just fine, but I've discovered that changes in
Lucene are not visible through Solr.

For example, say there is no matching document in Lucene for id=1000,
so if I query Solr using id:1000, I will correctly find 0 matches.
But then I import new data into Lucene, pulling in a new document
where id=1000. At that point, the query for id:1000 should find one
match, but it doesn't (0 still). If I bounce Solr, I can see the
results just fine.

I thought it might be a caching issue, but I have all of the cache
options disabled in solfconfig.xml and the problem persists. I also
ran Lucene optimization while Solr was running, but again no fix. If
anyone has any suggestions for configuring / poking Solr somehow so
that it will see new changes in Lucene, please let me know.

cheers,
Kaan

Re: changes in Lucene not visible through Solr

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: This worked great:
: 	curl http://localhost:8983/solr/update --data-binary '<commit/>'

you should go turn your caching options back on ... they'll help out a lot
if you tend to get any repetition in your queries, and they are "smart"
caches ... entries will expire on commit, and with autoWarming configured
Solr will even prefill the new caches on each commit based on the "best"
keys from the old cache.

: >> I thought it might be a caching issue, but I have all of the cache
: >> options disabled in solfconfig.xml and the problem persists. I also

-Hoss

Re: changes in Lucene not visible through Solr

Posted by Kaan Erdener <ke...@rackspace.com>.
I'm glad I asked. I probably wouldn't have discovered that on my
own... :)

This worked great:
	curl http://localhost:8983/solr/update --data-binary '<commit/>'

thanks,