Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chip <ch...@ninjabucket.com> on 2005/04/01 00:20:56 UTC

Re: sa-learn issues

Chip wrote:

> Michael Parker wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:23:24PM -0500, Chip wrote:
>>

>>> I have things setup so each user has a spam folder that they will
>>> put missed spam in.  This folder will later be trained from cron
>>> jobs using sa-learn.  The problem is, it seems that sa-learn is
>>> ignoring the -u / --user= flag.  No matter what I set it to, it
>>> trains for root instead of that user.  I am verifying this by
>>> checking the /root/.spamassassin/ directory.  Each time I run
>>> sa-learn, the bayes files in the directory are updated, instead of
>>> the files in /usr/home/<user>/.spamassassin/
>>>

>> This is a feature/shortcoming in the -u option for sa-learn when using
>> non-SQL based bayes storage modules.  That is why the documentation
>> states:
>>  You can use this option to specify users in a virtual user
>>  configuration.
>>
>> Otherwise the bayes path, if unset via dbpath or in a .cf file is
>> expanded to be in $ENV{HOME} which in your case is /root/.
>>
>> I added the -u specifically for BayesSQL users, since it doesn't refer
>> to an actual directory on the filesystem.
>>
>> Feel free to file a bug report, but honestly it might end up being a
>> documentation patch saying that -u is not effective for DBM storage.
>>
>> BTW, you can easily accomplish the same thing as root using su -c or
>> similar mechanisms.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Ahh ok.  Make sense!  I will change to a sql backend, as my users have
> no shell access and can't run the command as themselves.  Thanks for
> the clarification!

Changing the backend storage driver worked perfectly, well almost.  When
using DBM storage, the user_prefs file was automatically created when a
new user got its first mail.  Now using mySQL, the userpref table is
empty.  Is this the default behavior?  Reason I ask is with no examples
of what to put in the table, I am unsure of the syntax ;)