Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul Erkens <pj...@xs4all.nl> on 2002/12/30 23:26:50 UTC

[users@httpd] directory and /directory directives

Can someone explain to me in normal words, what these directives do in
httpd.conf? They allow or deny access to a directory, but between the
<directory> and </directory> directives, a number of lines appear of which I
understand nothing yet, because the documentation is not straight-forward
enough for me to get the idea.

1: What is the idea in general for allow,deny?
2: What happens is I leave them out entirely?
3: Do I need any option directives in this container or can they be left
out?

Regards,
Paul.

Re: [users@httpd] directory and /directory directives

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Paul Erkens wrote:
> This puts up another few questions.
>
> 1: What are overrides: what do these directives tell apache to override and
> where was the value to be overridden specified elsewhere?

options indexes is one item you would override in a directory,
or allow overrides, to enable an .htaccess / .htpassword to work.
the directory container is meant for making specific options work only
in specific directories, though you shouldn't remove the one about
cgi-bin / cgi [ anything with cgi in it be default ] since that will
kill your cgi capabilities until you replace what you removed. if you
want cgi that is.

> 2: what is httaccess? A file? A directive? A module? What does it do?
.htaccess is a file, left in the directory, where any alternate
directives can be kept.
the companion ( not required but also used for special configurations )
is .htpassword

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Paul Erkens wrote:

> This puts up another few questions.
>
> 1: What are overrides: what do these directives tell apache to override and
> where was the value to be overridden specified elsewhere?
>
> 2: what is httaccess? A file? A directive? A module? What does it do?

You might want to check out the .htaccess tutorial, at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html which answers this
question, and gives you all the gory details.

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go

Re: [users@httpd] directory and /directory directives

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.