Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Newton <St...@Qsent.com> on 2000/12/12 19:42:34 UTC

RE: Ctx( ): IOException in: R( + /tomcat-power.gif + null) sock et w rite error

> I am running tomcat 3.2 on NT. While trying to access
> http://localhost/index.html I get the following errors:
>
> 2000-12-12 09:27:41 - Ctx(  ): IOException in: R(  +
> /index.html + null)
> socket write error (code=10053)
> 2000-12-12 09:27:41 - Ctx(  ): IOException in: R(  +
> /tomcat-power.gif +
> null) socket write error (code=10053)

This is a winsock error.  The below is quoted from
http://www.sockets.com/err_lst1.htm.
It's not specifically a Tomcat error.

WSAECONNABORTED (10053) Software caused connection abort.

Berkeley description: A connection abort was caused internal to your host
machine. The software caused a connection abort because there is no space on
the socket's queue and the socket cannot receive further connections.

WinSock description: Partly the same as Berkeley. The error can occur when
the local network system aborts a connection. This would occur if WinSock
aborts an established connection after data retransmission fails (receiver
never acknowledges data sent on a datastream socket).

TCP/IP scenario: A connection will timeout if the local system doesn't
receive an (ACK)nowledgement for data sent. It would also timeout if a
(FIN)ish TCP packet is not ACK'd (and even if the FIN is ACK'd, it will
eventually timeout if a FIN is not returned).

User suggestions: There are a number of things to check, that might help to
identify why the failure occurred. Basically, you want to identify where the
problem occurred.
Ping the remote host you were connected to. If it doesn't respond, it might
be off-line or there may be a network problem along the way. If it does
respond, then this problem might have been a transient one (so you can
reconnect now), or the server application you were connected to might have
terminated (so you might not be able to connect again).
Ping a local host to verify that your local network is still functioning (if
on a serial connection, see next step)
Ping your local router address. If you're on a serial connection, your local
router is the IP address of the host you initially logged onto with SLIP or
PPP.
Ping a host on the same subnet as the host you were connected to (if you
know one). This will verify that the destination network is functioning.
Try a "traceroute" to the host you were connected to. This won't reveal too
much unless you know the router addresses at the remote end, but it might
help to identify if the problem is somewhere along the way.

WinSock functions: recv(), recvfrom(), sendto(), FD_CLOSE

Additional functions: send() can also fail with WSAECONNABORTED. Any
function that takes a socket as an input parameter--except close
socket()--could potentially fail with this error.

See also: WSAECONNRESET, WSAENETRESET, WSAETIMEDOUT

Re: Ctx( ): IOException in: R( + /tomcat-power.gif + null) socket w rite error

Posted by Dave Smith <sa...@home.com>.
I get the same error with the same configuration
(NT4/tomcat3.2 standalone). My machine is configured
and working properly, and I have no other problems
related to winsock. So, does anyone know where
this error originates in the code? Is it a tomcat bug?
If so, I'll try and figure out how to do a bug report...

Tomcat 3.2 works fine and serves pages, even SSL
works, but standard out spews this junk on every request.

Thanks for any input,

Dave Smith