Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2008/02/21 19:36:02 UTC

TripleSoup and CouchDB

Leo,

Now that CouchDB has been brought into the Incubator, is there anything that
the old TripleSoup project would have to offer?  Would the people who were
interested in TripleSoup be interested in participating on CouchDB?

	--- Noel

ref: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TripleSoupProposal
     http://www.couchdbwiki.com/index.php?title=Apache_Incubator_Proposal

Re: TripleSoup and CouchDB

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,
On Feb 23, 2008, at 12:48, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2008, at 7:36 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Now that CouchDB has been brought into the Incubator, is there
>> anything that
>> the old TripleSoup project would have to offer?
>
> Hmmmh? Like what?
>
> TripleSoup code is mostly in C, for serving up triples, using an
> apache module for HTTP/REST.
>
> CouchDB code is mostly in Erlang (right?), for serving up document-
> based stuff, using MochiWeb (right?).

Mostly Erlang is correct. But we are not yet using Mochiweb. We hope
to, soon, though.

Cheers
Jan

Re: TripleSoup and CouchDB

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Feb 21, 2008, at 7:36 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Now that CouchDB has been brought into the Incubator, is there
> anything that
> the old TripleSoup project would have to offer?

Hmmmh? Like what?

TripleSoup code is mostly in C, for serving up triples, using an
apache module for HTTP/REST.

CouchDB code is mostly in Erlang (right?), for serving up document-
based stuff, using MochiWeb (right?).

The projects are similar in that they are both "infastructure for
building web stuff", but AFAICS everything else about them is just
about completely different, most importantly the underlying vision.

The TripleSoup-ish semantic web vision is all about a world with
*less* documents, instead going towards a more "granular" triples-
based web, whereas CouchDB is firmly document-based. RDF mandates
URIs whereas CouchDB mandates only strings, but suggests UUIDs. Etc etc.

>   Would the people who were
> interested in TripleSoup be interested in participating on CouchDB?

I wouldn't know...but based on the above, probably not so much :-)

cheers!

- Leo