Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by SK...@symcor.com on 2006/04/27 16:37:20 UTC

l7dlog

Hello all,

I have two questions:
a) Why is the method l7dlog named so?
b) Why is there no overloaded l7dlog method that does not take a throwable? When I pass null, it prints 'null' in the log.

Thanks in advance,

Salman Khattak

Re: l7dlog

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Apr 27, 2006, at 9:37 AM, SKhattak@symcor.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have two questions:
> a) Why is the method l7dlog named so?
> b) Why is there no overloaded l7dlog method that does not take a
> throwable? When I pass null, it prints 'null' in the log.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Salman Khattak

a) l7d is an abbreviation for localized where the 7 represents that
number of characters are omitted.  The most common example is i18n
for internationalization.

b) From reviewing the code it looks like passing null should
represent no exception and any stack trace formatting should be
suppressed.  Are you calling Logger.setResourceBundle()?  Using
l7dlog without setting a resource bundle looks like it could result
in "null" being output.  Otherwise, see what happens when you do pass
in an throwable.