Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Matthew Duftler <du...@us.ibm.com> on 2006/06/23 15:39:36 UTC

Introduction and deployment ideas...

Hi Folks,

I wanted to introduce myself to the people on the list.

I work for IBM Research in Hawthorne, NY in a group that has been working
on component-oriented programming, Web services and SOA-related things for
quite a few years now. I was one of the original co-authors of Apache SOAP
(originally IBM SOAP), was the primary original author of WSDL4J, and
various other related things. I'm currently a committer on Apache Woden
(albeit, I am not heavily involved).

I've been doing some preliminary work on a deployment tool for Tuscany.
While it's not quite yet in a state worthy of contribution, I was hoping to
go through some of the ideas here to get some feedback. I've talked quite a
bit with Jean-Sebastien, and he pointed out that these ideas should really
be evolved here on the list.

Initial steps:

  - Replicate what we currently have Maven doing for us, but in a generic
way. That is, create some code that can be executed from the command-line,
run as a Maven plugin, embedded in Eclipse, etc...

I have some code now that will build a WAR, and deploy it to the
appropriate location within a local Tomcat. This code can be run from the
command-line, and has been wrapped in a Maven plugin. The steps I am
working on now:

  - Change the code to first check if the WAR has already been created
(instead of always packaging a new WAR).

  - Tuscany-enable (that is, configure) Tomcat to accept and run WARs
containing Tuscany modules. (The current code expects Tomcat to have
already been Tuscany-enabled. I'm adding the capability to the deployment
tool to, in effect, deploy Tuscany itself to a local instance of Tomcat.)
This bit of code could evolve to intelligently install just the
dependencies required of the modules being deployed.

  - Add support for additional target platforms (maybe Jetty?).

  - Add support for deploying Tuscany modules to remote Tomcat instances.
This will require Tuscany to expose the sort of admin/management/reflection
interfaces that have recently been discussed on the list.

  - Once the above items are completed, it should be straightforward to
support wiring (and actually deploying) an entire subsystem.

Also, it is clear that the various extensions will need to be able to
contribute deployment behavior at some point. I'd like to add support for
this capability, and I'm looking for concrete examples now.

If people are interested, I'd be willing to check what I'm working on into
a sandbox branch very shortly.

Thanks,
-Matt Duftler

Re: Introduction and deployment ideas...

Posted by Jojo <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

I would be really interested to see your code. I was also looking into
something similar for the Tuscany Javascrip shell, which is discussed in
this Jira :

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-417

Thanks and regards,
jojo.

On 6/23/06, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > This bit of code could evolve to intelligently install just the
> > dependencies required of the modules being deployed.
> >
> >   - Add support for additional target platforms (maybe Jetty?).
> >
> >   - Add support for deploying Tuscany modules to remote Tomcat
> instances.
> > This will require Tuscany to expose the sort of
> > admin/management/reflection
> > interfaces that have recently been discussed on the list.
> >
> >   - Once the above items are completed, it should be straightforward to
> > support wiring (and actually deploying) an entire subsystem.
> >

> > Also, it is clear that the various extensions will need to be able to
> > contribute deployment behavior at some point. I'd like to add support
> for
> > this capability, and I'm looking for concrete examples now.
> >

> > If people are interested, I'd be willing to check what I'm working on

Warm regards,
jojo.

Re: Introduction and deployment ideas...

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.