Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/31 00:03:00 UTC

Idea of JCMS

Folks,

just heard of JCMS proposed to be incubated and it sounds interesting.
Looking at the description and the sources I wonder why not helping
the Slide project to achive the goals stated in the proposal. Goals
are pretty similar and Slide is working code.

Oliver

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi oli,

thanks for your comments. i really appreciate your interest.

> first of all let me say that I really appreciate your help! Second,
> let me say that I have no reservations concerning Jackrabbit and
> certainly do not see it as a threat to Slide or the other way round
> (which others seemed to feel in other posts), but rather want to
> explore where each project can learn from the other or where they
> could combine efforts or benefit from each other - like with sharing a
> WebDAV implementation.
agreed. i certainly would be great to share a webdav library
for example.

> > > (1) Where can I get the (tentative) JCR API?
> > you can download the snapshot that was out for public review
> > in may-2004
> > ( http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr170/index.html )
> > which is a quite a bit outdated now. or you can get the binaries that
> > are used by maven to build for jackrabbit from http://www.day.com/maven/
> > "proposed final draft" will be submitted soon (i hope).
> Thanks, got it now! Is this the API you were programming Jackrabbit to?
precisely... the versions of the jcr.jar (v0.15) are in sync with the
versions of the spec.

> > > (2) When *presumably* will Jackrabbit be mature enought
> > > to be an alternative to the current Slide backend?
> > since i do not know slide well enough to understand how
> > mature it is and i cannot judge what it would mean to be an alternative
> > to the slide backend, i can only speak for jackrabbit. even when
> > jackrabbit was still a slide proposal people (unfortuntately)
> > started to use it in production.
> Which is not your fault!
which is other peoples fault, and they know that the
have to live with the continous changes, in the api.

> > there are already mature applications that are built
> > uniquely on jackrabbit, so far people have been very
> > happy with the stability.
> That's great! Do you have links to them?
sure... i think one of the earliest adopters you can find for example
at http://www.magnolia.info

> I suppose this is without authentication, access rights management and
> locking, right?
well, not entirely. but it is correct that currently locking and access control
are currently still being developed. but applications can most certainly
deal with those topics themselves, which i would (as i mentioned
before) not suggest.

> Please forbear with me as I am not yet familiar with Jackrabbit, but
> as far as I have seen there is only a backend to the file system and
> none to a relational database, right? Or have I missed something?
there could be a wide variety of PerstistenceManagers that people
could think of. personally, i believe that an fs backend certainly has
great value when it comes to ease of deployment, but as you might
see on the jackrabbit list other people are already discussing jdbc
contributions... we will see...

> How does the JCRQL look like? Is there any link to documentation?
see the spec that you downloaded ;)
however, it is subject to change.

> > i am sure there are very different mechanisms to measure
> > robustness, which are usually very dependant on the
> > requirements of the users. do you have any sort of
> > performance metrics in mind? uptime? size of the
> > repository in bytes or nodes (resources)? transactions
> > per second? functionality (versioning, query,
> > transactions,...?)? memory consumption?
> Bottom line is Jackrabbit is something you would advice to program to
> for production? Even now? Well, that's good news for me! Why not
> moving it out of the incubator then?
first of all the criteria for moving something out of the
incubator is has nothing to do with the stability of the code,
but with the maturity of a project from a community perspective.
from that perspective jackrabbit certainly still belongs into
the incubator, we are still a very young community.

as the spec-lead i would of course discourage anybody from
using jsr-170 until it is finally approved by the executive
committee of the jcp unless they are willing to accept the
consequences of continuous change of the api.

of course personally as a developer i would refuse to
work with anything else but jsr-170 when it comes to
communicating with a content repository, and i much
rather incurr the impact of continuous changes in
the jsr-170, than having to deal with a proprietary api.

thanks again for all the excellent questions.

regards,
david

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

first of all let me say that I really appreciate your help! Second,
let me say that I have no reservations concerning Jackrabbit and
certainly do not see it as a threat to Slide or the other way round
(which others seemed to feel in other posts), but rather want to
explore where each project can learn from the other or where they
could combine efforts or benefit from each other - like with sharing a
WebDAV implementation.

More comments inline...

No idea how this might look like...

Oliver

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi oliver,

> (1) Where can I get the (tentative) JCR API?
you can download the snapshot that was out for public review
in may-2004
( http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr170/index.html )
which is a quite a bit outdated now. or you can get the binaries that
are used by maven to build for jackrabbit from http://www.day.com/maven/
"proposed final draft" will be submitted soon (i hope).

i think you bring up a good point, we should somehow
manage to get the java-doc of the jsr-170 into the
jackrabbit api doc.

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Two (maybe dumb) questions

Re: Idea of JCMS

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
"Rolf Kulemann" <ro...@apache.org> writes:

> But JCMS also claims to support/use standards like JCR. AFAICS Slide
> does not support JCR. I do not know why, but I saw some posting giving
> me the feeling it was due to lack of collaboration between the former
> jcrri team and the Slide team.

I don't know the scope of these projects but ...

If the only problem is that Slide doesn't support a standard (that
presumably came after its inception) then I think the right thing to do
is to go and implement that standard on top of the existing codebase.

Is there some technical reason why that can't be done? If not we're not
living up to the community building spirit by creating, in effect, a
community which is designed to kill an existing community.

Sanjiva.

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:00:23 +0100, Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 12:46, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> > Hi Rolf,
> >
> > thanks for this honest statement. I was just wondering a little bit:
> > Slide's main focus is on providing a WebDAV compliant server for all
> > kinds of repositories. I guess it does this job pretty well. It
> > becomes easier and easier to plug all kinds of stores into it and the
> > WebDAV compliance is unmatched by anthing else I have ever seen.
>
> To correct my statement again; Slide is really the greatest WebDAV repo
> I have ever seen. Great job :) But I need more...and I guess JCMS as
> well.

Hihi, do not overdo it ;)

Oliver

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:00:23 +0100, Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 12:46, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> > Hi Rolf,
> >
> > thanks for this honest statement. I was just wondering a little bit:
> > Slide's main focus is on providing a WebDAV compliant server for all
> > kinds of repositories. I guess it does this job pretty well. It
> > becomes easier and easier to plug all kinds of stores into it and the
> > WebDAV compliance is unmatched by anthing else I have ever seen.
>
> To correct my statement again; Slide is really the greatest WebDAV repo
> I have ever seen. Great job :) But I need more...and I guess JCMS as
> well.

Hihi, do not overdo it ;)

Oliver

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 13:14, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> > Ok, sorry, I missed the WebDAV thingy. You are right. BUT WebDAV is very
> > limited; see transactions and a standard query API. However, this is
> > another discussion.
> >
> > This is exactly the reason why I won't use Slide for Lenya; I can not
> > use WebDAV because of its limitations and I do not want to rely on the
> > _propriatry_ Slide API.
>
> I did not want to program to the propriatry Slide API either ;)
>
> Anyway, Slide supports both a standard query API as well as
> transactions. Seach is standard WebDAV and for transactions, events /
> notifcation we use the extensions MS proposed...

Well, maybe the MS extensions will be part of the WebDAV standard
sometimes...

We in Lenya land will have to make a decision soon, on which API we want
to rely on. So, I very appreciate this discussion.

> Daniel, the inventor of Projector - which is part of Slide - did
> exactly that: implement some sort of CMS frontend (i.e. workflow,
> processing, etc.) against WebDAV. I have recently heard rumors he now
> adapts it to work with SVN which speaks a WebDAV dialect as well. So,
> this is well possible and seems to work fine...

Yes, I have seen the Projector, but I do not know much about it. Maybe a
closer look will offer me some new views to things. On the other hand
I'm working on Lenya...

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 14:31, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> > Mhh, a standard query API? WebDAV only specifies a query envelope, but
> > not the query language. Or do you mean the Slide API exposes a standard
> > query API? Which standard does it use?
>
> There is more than an envelope, there also is the basic search:
>
> http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-07.html#qs-basicsearch
>
> Slide supports it...

I know, I used it :) It worked quite fine.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Transactions and Webdav client lib [was Re: Idea of JCMS]

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 17:52, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Hi Rolf,
>
> you are right, Client Javadocs have not been updated for ages. Done this now.
>
> Methods are
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/clientjavadoc/org/apache/webdav/lib/WebdavResource.html#startTransaction(java.lang.String,%20int)
> http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/clientjavadoc/org/apache/webdav/lib/WebdavResource.html#commitTransaction()
> http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/clientjavadoc/org/apache/webdav/lib/WebdavResource.html#abortTransaction()
>
> Concerning JTA, there is a JCA connector that can be linked into JTA
> transactions. More information is here:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/howto-jca.html
>
> However, this has not been heaviliy tested, yet. If you use it
> consider yourself a beta tester...

Thank you very much Oliver.
BTW: Do not take my comments on general@i.a.o too serious :)

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rolf,

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 15:02, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Yes.
Ok, then I have some more questions:

Looking at http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/clientjavadoc/index.html
I can not find a hint how to do the transactions. I thought there is a
JTA support exposed by the session or via the methods package.

Sorry for this maybe newbie question. Can you point me to a code snippet
where the MS extensions are used?

Thank you very much.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

Oliver

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 13:14, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> > To be honest again, my personal wish is that Slide and Rabbit folks
> > would work more closely together. I feel the potential of
> > cross-pollination is great.
>
> By the way, I was not able to follow the progress of  the Rabbit
> thing, is there already any sort of useable backend? Does it provide
> transactions now?
>
> Would be interesting to know...

Yep, first working code was checked in these days.

> Is there any special mailing list I could subscribe to?

Yep, jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
and the website is at
http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/

Would be nice to have you around there :)

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Idea of JCMS

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.