Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/07/02 19:11:28 UTC

Re: ANN: Java Project Environment, a simple way to manage multiple projects

on 7/2/01 4:54 PM, "jeff" <je...@socialchange.net.au> wrote:

> Hope someone finds it useful. I tend to jump between a lot of projects,
> and it's has saved me quite a lot of time.
>
> --Jeff

I'm confused. Why not just use Ant to manage your classpath?

I haven't set a real $CLASSPATH in about 2 years.

[152][ ~ ]% echo $CLASSPATH
.

-jon

Re: ANN: Java Project Environment, a simple way to manage multiple projects

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:11:28AM -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
> on 7/2/01 4:54 PM, "jeff" <je...@socialchange.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Hope someone finds it useful. I tend to jump between a lot of projects,
> > and it's has saved me quite a lot of time.
> >
> > --Jeff
>
> I'm confused. Why not just use Ant to manage your classpath?

Primarily because invoking Ant every time I want to recompile one file
is too slow. Jikes takes milliseconds; Ant takes seconds.

The secondary reason is because often I want to prototype something, and
don't have an Ant build.xml file set up.

Hopefully this will change when Peter Donald's Ant 2, with incremental
builds, takes over the world. For now, using this in conjunction with
Ant gives you the best of both worlds.

--Jeff