Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/02/20 19:27:25 UTC

[VOTE] Deprecate 2 more Excalibur Projects

I would like to push to vote to deprecate Excalibur CLI in
favor of Commons CLI.

+1 from me

Also, vote to deprecate Excalibur IO in favor of
Commons IO

+1 from me

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate 2 more Excalibur Projects

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
> > Is this the same component that is not released and has a dearth of
> > committers? Would it not be wise to wait till it is at least in commons
> > proper and it fixes some of the issues it has?
>
> Yes it is.  The only way it would get to commons proper is a couple more
> committers.  As it stands now, it is not really maintained.

To be ever so slightly pedantic, a dearth of committers is not a bad thing if a) a thiong is
released, b) it has very high unit test covereage and c) is percieved to be defect free.

I appreciate this goes against the grain of Apache's definition of viability/vitality.

If we need to continue downsizing Avalon, then fine lets move this out of Avalon to SourceForge.

- Paul

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate 2 more Excalibur Projects

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:27, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>I would like to push to vote to deprecate Excalibur CLI in
>>favor of Commons CLI.
>>
>>+1 from me
>

> -1
>
> No need to deprecate something that works and is mor eloosely coupled than the
> alternative. However it may be best to move it out of Avalon.

I think that is what everyone wants.  I have no problems with the Spice
project hosting it.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:27, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>I would like to push to vote to deprecate Excalibur CLI in
>>favor of Commons CLI.
>
> No need to deprecate something that works and is mor eloosely coupled than the
> alternative. However it may be best to move it out of Avalon.

I think our main need wrt deprecation is to point out to our users that
avalon as a project would like to stop investing energy into the
maintainance of these packages, while still wanting to provide a good
upgrade path 'n stuff.

Moving the package out is an alternative that accomplishes that as well.

My preference for a move would be to move to merge with commons-cli :D

>>Also, vote to deprecate Excalibur IO in favor of
>>Commons IO
>>
>>+1 from me
>
> Would it not be wise to wait till it is at least in commons proper

yep. I think it is good policy to not use or depend on commons-sandbox
components (any sandbox code) in non-sandbox avalon code. Since I/O is
released, we shouldn't deprecate until a viable alternative is
available, just like with the ECM/fortress scheme.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate 2 more Excalibur Projects

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate 2 more Excalibur Projects

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote, On 20/02/2003 19.27:
> I would like to push to vote to deprecate Excalibur CLI in
> favor of Commons CLI.

+1

> Also, vote to deprecate Excalibur IO in favor of
> Commons IO

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate 2 more Excalibur Projects

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I would like to push to vote to deprecate Excalibur CLI in
> favor of Commons CLI.
>
> +1 from me

+1

> Also, vote to deprecate Excalibur IO in favor of
> Commons IO
>
> +1 from me

+1

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

RE: [VOTE] Deprecate 2 more Excalibur Projects

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> I would like to push to vote to deprecate Excalibur CLI in
> favor of Commons CLI.
>
> +1 from me
>

> Also, vote to deprecate Excalibur IO in favor of
> Commons IO
>
> +1 from me

 +1 to both.

/LS