Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Christian NENTWICH <c....@cs.ucl.ac.uk> on 2000/10/16 11:08:26 UTC

getIdentifier problem

Dear all,

the documentation of getIdentifier says that the function looks up ids
that have been "pre-registered". Does that mean I have to call
putIdentifier or will it recognize attributes of type ID automatically ?
(please say yes, please :)

Calling getIdentifier("n1") on the document pasted below returns null.
I've got rather huge documents, so going through them manually and
calling putIdentifier on each id attribute will be tedious.

Christian

<?xml version='1.0' standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE idtest [
<!ELEMENT idtest (node*)>
<!ELEMENT node (#PCDATA)>
<!ATTLIST node
   id ID #REQUIRED
   child IDREF #REQUIRED

]>
<idtest>

  <node id="n1" child="n2">node 1</node>
  <node id="n2" child="n3">node 2</node>
  <node id="n3" child="n4">node 3</node>
  <node id="n4" child="n2">node 4</node>
</idtest>

Re: getIdentifier problem

Posted by Christian NENTWICH <c....@cs.ucl.ac.uk>.
> > the documentation of getIdentifier says that the function looks up
> > ids that have been "pre-registered". Does that mean I have to call
> > putIdentifier or will it recognize attributes of type ID
> > automatically ? (please say yes, please :)
>
> Yes... with the requirement that you have a grammar for your
> document and you have validation turned on.

Ah yes, now it all makes sense. Thanks a lot for that... it's so obvious
afterwards... We had already implemented our own ID function :)

This is a good one for the faq :)

Christian

Re: getIdentifier problem

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.