Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2015/02/10 19:39:45 UTC

why cannot commit via http:// but can svn://

I have a SVN machine in my network. I can do anything I want via svn://. I just setup the http:// access and it seems working until I found I cannot commit my new file. The error message is :
$ svn add scripts
A         scripts
A         scripts/svnbackup.sh
[user1@dev2 Docs]$ svn commit -m "add svnbackup.sh file"
Authentication realm: <http://146.115.74.4:80> Subversion User Authentication
Password for 'user1': ******

svn: E000013: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: E000013: Can't open file '/home/svn/Docs/db/txn-current-lock': Permission denied

I went to the svn server and found all folders and files belong to svn group which the user1 is one the members. the svn group has rw permission there. In order to narrow down the issue, I renamed my working copy and checked out the same repository with svn:// connection and I found I can do commit without any issue.
It indicates the issue is not in the svn server but the error reported is telling me the svn server refused the write. So I am confused.

I was able to connected and check out the repository via http:// connection. It seems the http:// part is working.
I am using Fedora 20 on both machines. And I have disabled the SeLinux. The $getenforce told me "Disabled"

My svn version is 1.8.11.

The instruction I followed to enable the http:// access is from here: SVN (Subversion) Access Control with Apache and mod_authz_svn | If Not True Then False
Any ideas?
Thanks,
James

Re: why cannot commit via http:// but can svn://

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:39 PM, James <ol...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a SVN machine in my network. I can do anything I want via svn://. I
> just setup the http:// access and it seems working until I found I cannot
> commit my new file. The error message is :
>
> $ svn add scripts
> A         scripts
> A         scripts/svnbackup.sh
> [user1@dev2 Docs]$ svn commit -m "add svnbackup.sh file"
> Authentication realm: <http://146.115.74.4:80> Subversion User
> Authentication
> Password for 'user1': ******
>
> svn: E000013: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E000013: Can't open file '/home/svn/Docs/db/txn-current-lock':
> Permission denied
>
> I went to the svn server and found all folders and files belong to svn
> group which the user1 is one the members. the svn group has rw permission
> there. In order to narrow down the issue, I renamed my working copy and
> checked out the same repository with svn:// connection and I found I can do
> commit without any issue.
>
> It indicates the issue is not in the svn server but the error reported is
> telling me the svn server refused the write. So I am confused.

The user you authenticate with does not matter.  This is an OS-level
permission issue. Your Apache server is probably running as an "apache" or
"httpd" user account that does not have RW access to your repository.
Either add the Group directive to Apache so that it runs with your svn
group or change your repository files so that they are writable by the
Apache process.

Likewise, the svnserve process on the server determines what it can RW.  In
your case, it is probably running with the svn group which is why it works.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: why cannot commit via http:// but can svn://

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
Note that using plain HTTP access is begging to get your passwords
sniffed, unless you're *really, really, really sure* that no one can
get into your local network environment. SSL is typically not too hard
to set up, for just such protection.

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 11:39 AM, James <ol...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I have a SVN machine in my network. I can do anything I want via svn://. I
> just setup the http:// access and it seems working until I found I cannot
> commit my new file. The error message is :
>
> $ svn add scripts
> A         scripts
> A         scripts/svnbackup.sh
> [user1@dev2 Docs]$ svn commit -m "add svnbackup.sh file"
> Authentication realm: <http://146.115.74.4:80> Subversion User
> Authentication
> Password for 'user1': ******
>
> svn: E000013: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E000013: Can't open file '/home/svn/Docs/db/txn-current-lock':
> Permission denied
>
> I went to the svn server and found all folders and files belong to svn group
> which the user1 is one the members. the svn group has rw permission there.
> In order to narrow down the issue, I renamed my working copy and checked out
> the same repository with svn:// connection and I found I can do commit
> without any issue.
>
> It indicates the issue is not in the svn server but the error reported is
> telling me the svn server refused the write. So I am confused.
>
> I was able to connected and check out the repository via http:// connection.
> It seems the http:// part is working.
>
> I am using Fedora 20 on both machines. And I have disabled the SeLinux. The
> $getenforce told me "Disabled"
>
> My svn version is 1.8.11.
>
> The instruction I followed to enable the http:// access is from here: SVN
> (Subversion) Access Control with Apache and mod_authz_svn | If Not True Then
> False

Re: why cannot commit via http:// but can svn://

Posted by jb...@icloud.com.
You'll need to check that the repository is writable by whatever user ID your web server is running as. Not specifically the user they authenticate their HTTP session with.