Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/23 20:29:37 UTC

Russel Winder passed away

Hi all,

Today I heard the very sad news that our good friend Russel Winder passed
away.

The Groovy community will remember Russel for his great contributions to
the Groovy project, the GPars parallel framework, his presentations at
conferences about Groovy, but also his involvement in the Java ecosystem,
the Python community, and more.

I'm very sad today to lose a good and dear friend.
I fondly remember our conversations at conferences like Groovy & Grails
eXchange, at GR8Conf, or Greach. He had a wonderful sense of humour, and
was a friendly and lovely person, with deep insight and knowledge.

[image: graeme-guillaume-russel.jpg]

My best thoughts and my condolences to his wife Geri and his family.

Russel, you will be deeply missed.

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Laforge
Apache Groovy committer

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
Twitter: @glaforge <http://twitter.com/glaforge>

Re: Russel Winder passed away

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
I am so sorry to hear this.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
I am so sorry to hear this.

Posted by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Tim Dudgeon <td...@gmail.com>.
Very sad to hear this.
Russel was awesome, not only for his contributions to gpars and groovy, but
much beyond.
A great guy.
Tim

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

For those who personally knew Russel, there's going to be a remembrance
broadcasted on YouTube, on Wednesday.
Geri, his wife, said you can request a link, by writing her at the
following address: geri.winder@gmail.com

Thanks for your attention.

Guillaume

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Søren Berg Glasius <so...@glasius.dk>.
I'm sad to read this news. Russell was a great speaker and I always enjoyed
his company at conferences. He will be missed.

Warm thoughts goes to his family.

Best regards

Søren Berg Glasius

Sent from my phone, thus brief