Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com.INVALID> on 2022/11/04 18:42:26 UTC

[DRAFT] Geode Board Report for November 9th

In addition to the resolution to terminate the geode project, I think we should file a board report for this quarter with some more details. Here is a draft, let me know what you think.

The mission of Apache Geode is the creation and maintenance of software related
to a data management platform that provides real-time, consistent access to
data-intensive applications throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

## Issues:
The Geode project has voted to enter the attic, and there is a corresponding
board resolution on the agenda.

The two organizations sponsoring contributors have disengaged from the
community, leaving the project without a critical mass to carry on. We tried
to recruit some additional contributors and PMC members, but it looks like the
PMC will not be able to muster a quorum of 3 members going forward. All but
one of the existing PMC members are either inactive or will be leaving the
project shortly.

## Membership Data:
Apache Geode was founded 2016-11-15 (6 years ago)
There are currently 116 committers and 35 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 8:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Alexander Murmann on 2020-03-26.
- Jakov Varenina was added as committer on 2022-10-10
- 19 PMC members have left since last quarter

## Project Activity:
1.15.1 was released on 2022-10-10.

There have been no commits since October 10th.

## Community Health:
With the exit of the two corporate sponsors there do not seem to be many
active members left. We attempted to nominate three new PMC members but they
declined. There was an offer to help with the project from one user in
response to the attic vote, but even adding that user to the PMC would not
have reached quorum for the project.

Re: [DRAFT] Geode Board Report for November 9th

Posted by Anthony Baker <ba...@vmware.com.INVALID>.
Do you want to add the results of the PMC roll call?

Posted by Anthony Baker <ba...@vmware.com.INVALID>.
Let’s put this statement in context. It’s not _that_ unusual for some projects to have no commits for a month. But is it is very indicative of the state of the Geode community given its history of being one of the more active ASF projects. As noted in the last board report, project activity declined precipitously starting early this summer and is now pretty much stopped altogether.

https://medium.com/indeed-engineering/whats-up-asf-using-imhotep-to-understand-project-activity-cdac94e1a68b
https://github.com/apache/geode/graphs/commit-activity

Anthony