Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Sreeram <sr...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/18 10:37:16 UTC

How to implement Hbase atomic increment from a storm bolt

Hi,

 I am looking for suggestions from community on implementing HBase atomic
increment in a idempotent manner from inside a storm bolt.

 Replay of the storm bolt results in a double increment.

 Any suggestion on the right approach to be taken is welcome.

 Thank you.

 Regards,
 Sreeram

Re: Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Dear all,

I hope that this issue is now fixed.

I rewrote all my code related to metrics and now it is working.
- All my code is now based on ReducedMetric
- I removed all my static code.

Thanks a lot for your patience and your help.
Denis

On Mar 18, 2016 9:38 PM, "Denis DEBARBIEUX" <ddebarbieux@norsys.fr
<ma...@norsys.fr>> wrote:

    Dear all,

    I have a question about metrics and how they are consumed:
    I launch my topology. During 3 or 4 minutes, I receive my metrics.
    Then no more logs.
    It's look like the process that is consuming the metrics has a dead
    lock or is blocked by a time out.

    Here comes some information about the context:
      - I am using storm 0.9.4.
      - Some metrics are defined by defaut (eg emit-count.default) some
    other are customed.
      - I am sure that my topology is still running.
      - According to Storm UI, the number of messages emiting by my
    bolts is increasing. In other words, metrics are still computing and
    send somewhere.
      - I try two instances of LoggingMetricsConsumer: in file
    (backtype.storm.metric.LoggingMetricsConsumer) and in graphite
    (com.verisign.storm.metrics.GraphiteMetricsConsumer).
      - I can reproduce it on 2 different machines.
      - No error are logged (worker, metric, supervisor).
      - I am using storm since 1 year and I never seen this problem.

    Thanks for your help.

    Denis

---

Re: Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Dear all,

Please find enclose the full thread dump. I hope that you can find some
promishing information.

I did the following experiments:
  - Reproduce the problem with the ExclamationTopology (storm starter).
But I fail.
  - Activate acking (there is no acking in my toplogy). But I still have
the problem.

Sorry for the delay between my two posts.
Thanks for our help.

Denis

---

Re: Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> no more logs.
>>> It's look like the process that is consuming the metrics has a dead lock
>>> or is blocked by a time out.
>>>
>>> Here comes some information about the context:
>>>  - I am using storm 0.9.4.
>>>  - Some metrics are defined by defaut (eg emit-count.default) some other
>>> are customed.
>>>  - I am sure that my topology is still running.
>>>  - According to Storm UI, the number of messages emiting by my bolts is
>>> increasing. In other words, metrics are still computing and send somewhere.
>>>  - I try two instances of LoggingMetricsConsumer: in file
>>> (backtype.storm.metric.LoggingMetricsConsumer) and in graphite
>>> (com.verisign.storm.metrics.GraphiteMetricsConsumer).
>>>  - I can reproduce it on 2 different machines.
>>>  - No error are logged (worker, metric, supervisor).
>>>  - I am using storm since 1 year and I never seen this problem.

Abhishek Agarwal

Re: Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Jungtaek,

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Hi,

Thanks for you help.

I did many tests with version 0.9.6 but I did not find any improvement.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Denis,

2016년 3월 29일 (화) 오후 5:41, Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>님이 작성:

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Hi all,

Re: RE : Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.
It would be a good idea to take thread dump when logging stops. That could
give some clues

Excuse typos

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to implement Hbase atomic increment from a storm bolt

Posted by Sreeram <sr...@gmail.com>.
Dear Alexander,

 Thank you very much for firing up some neurons ... very much helpful :)

Regards,
Sreeram

Posted by Alexander T <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sreeram,