Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/02 18:26:38 UTC

Re: User initiative for improving OOXML (was Re: AOO questions on Google)

On 12/25/12 5:50 AM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> Thanks for that - I knew  of that initiative. Does the project intend to
> integrate their work?

sure, OOXML can't be ignored and we are interested in the work. I think
it was the main intention to make the "paid" work available in both AOO
and LibreOffice and that's the reason for the chosen license ALv2.

Unfortunately we haven't seen any line of code (or any patch) so far but
we are in contact with the OSBA and will be informed as soon as the
patches are available.

We as project are open for any kind of collaboration on this topic and
we would like to avoid duplicate work.

Especially the OOXML export is currently missing in AOO and volunteers
who are interested on this topic are welcome.

>From my point of view it makes much more sense to combine the resources
we have instead of competing. Did I mention that I am personally not
interested in competing with a derivative product based on the same code
base. I am simply interested to continue the success of OpenOffice under
the well known brand and I am happy if all the improvements of AOO will
find their way in LO as well (and they do) and if they are identified or
marked in a proper way ;-)

Juergen

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <or...@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> The slides are here:
>>
>>   <http://www.slideshare.net/nice/apache-eurocon2012-matthiasstuermer>
>>
>> It appears that some of the milestone results, as Apache-licensed
>> tarballs, should already be in the hands of the Open Source Business
>> Alliance.  Those should be available to anyone.  This is probably a good
>> place to watch for them (auf Deutsch):
>> <http://www.osb-alliance.de/working-groups/office-interoperability/>.
>>
>>  - Dennis

>>> Transitional (MS Word) version or ISO (does someone really implement it?).

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/2/13 9:05 PM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> Howdy Jürgen,
>
> Hmm - well, I had understood it was ALv2 specifically so that it would be
> available to the project here.
>
> Hopefully when the developers make a drop of the code it will be something
> that the devs here will want to utilize it, wasn't really fair to ask
> anyone to comment on something they haven't seen yet.

I hope so too, on the other hand it is paid development work and the
question is what does it mean to make it available in both projects ;-)

> I think in the long run support for the format is worthwhile, to be honest
> if Google would actually support ODF in and out for wp,ss,pr I would not
> care so much.

That is true but Google is looking what their customers need or want
which of course is natural. And OOXML was pushed with a lot of money in
the market and into a standard. I personally lose trust in standards a
little bit after this sad story but many people don't care too much
about it. The label ISO standard is enough and the technical details are
not interesting. But that is reality and I have stopped to think too
idealistic ;-)

That means it is important to have a good OOXML support as well in the
future to continue the game.

Juergen

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Well, it is easier to get funding for such things if both projects get benefits.

Depending on the organizers, if things only go to one side now it is likely
that such funding will not be available in the future or that it will be
reduced considerably and then everyone loses.

Pedro.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,