Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk> on 2004/03/13 01:52:01 UTC

mystery message regarding log4j

Sorry if I've missed a note recently on this one. Anyone know why
I'm receiving the mystery meat message:

    [java] log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.xindice.xml.TextWriter).
    [java] log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

when trying to write to the Xindice DB? I'm using a CVS version
from about a week or so ago, and this only seems to happen
intermittently, i.e., I can't reliably get it to happen every time.
I do have log4j.jar in my classpath. I haven't (to my knowledge)
modified any of the Xindice config files in a way that alters
logging behaviour.

Thanks much,

Murray

Murray Altheim                    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

       "Somebody is going to dominate space.  When they do,
        just like when the British dominated the naval part
        of our globe, established their empire, just like the
        United States has dominated the air superiority,
        ultimately, whoever is able to dominate space will be
        able to control the destiny of the entire Earth."
        http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1232864&l=14817
        http://www.americanprogress.org/AccountTempFiles/cf/{E9245FE4-9A2B-43C7-A521-5D6FF2E06E03}/040115.HTM#2

Re: mystery message regarding log4j

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Murray Altheim wrote:
>

>>Sorry if I've missed a note recently on this one. Anyone know why
>>I'm receiving the mystery meat message:
>>
>>   [java] log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
>>(org.apache.xindice.xml.TextWriter).
>>   [java] log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
>>
>>when trying to write to the Xindice DB? I'm using a CVS version
>>from about a week or so ago, and this only seems to happen
>>intermittently, i.e., I can't reliably get it to happen every time.
>>I do have log4j.jar in my classpath. I haven't (to my knowledge)
>>modified any of the Xindice config files in a way that alters
>>logging behaviour.
>
> Addition of log4j.jar already alters behavior. See for more info:
>     http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/guide.html
>
> Archives also have some info on this topic... <hint> I guess it's time
> to write an FAQ entry </hint> ;-)

Vadim,

I think what happened is this:  I normally develop on linux, and last
week when getting the batch file for Windows to work my app was throwing
an exception that included the log4J message. I remember now that in
trying to fix the bug I'd included the log4j jar file. Looking back,
the actual problem was that I'd removed the xerces and xalan jar files
because I didn't need them in linux, but did in Windows XP. But I
forgot to then remove the unnecessary log4j.jar file. In removing it
now I see that the WARN message is no longer being sent; instead I see
an INFO message:

      [java] INFO: No configuration file specified, going with the default configuration
      [java] log : initializing framework window...
      [java] Mar 13, 2004 2:06:02 AM org.apache.xindice.core.Database setConfig
      [java] INFO: Database points to /home/altheim/work/ceryle/xindice/db

This does mean that if I want to be thorough I should go back and
find out why I couldn't run Xindice on Windows without including
xerces and xalan's jars.

Thanks!

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.