Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2001/10/06 20:12:11 UTC

Re: [RT] Cocoon web applications [off topic]

On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 16:13:55 +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I recently came to know MacOSX NetInfo package and found it *very*
> elegant (much more elegant than the 30-years old /etc directory,
> anyway): it's a short of directory server that contains configuration. A
> sort of elegant and simple configuration registry (unlike windows') that
> is used to "serve" configurations to who it requires them.
>
> It provides a central point of configuration and an easy way to deploy
> something without having to modify it.

And Netinfo comes from the old days of NeXTSTEP, which ruled in terms
of cool ideas. In 1989 they have been using Objective-C, an
object-oriented language many will say more powerful than Java. Their
GUI libraries are still the best in terms of look&feel, ease of
programming and extensibility. The best part is they maintained and
migrated the old frameworks in MacOS X, and integrated Java,
Objective-C, and GUI libs in a very nice way.

And NeXTSTEP carries on through its users, we have at least two old
NeXTSTEPers on this list ;-)

Cheers,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>