Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2009/06/05 17:37:41 UTC

End 2.0.x support/releases?

This may be a "thorny" issue, but I'd like to bring it up and start a
discussion.

July 4th will mark the 2 year anniversary of the CXF 2.0 release.   Since
then, we have released 11 patches to that branch, along with 2.1 (and 5
patches for it) and 2.2 (and 2 patches for it).    That's 21 releases in under
2 years.   Pretty impressive.

However, with the trunk moving on, porting fixes and such back to 2.0.x is
becoming increasingly hard as much code has changed.    Additionally, if we
create a fixes branch for 2.2.x and move trunk to 2.3, that will make 4
branches we will be maintaining, which is quite a lot.   Doing simultaneous
releases like we did with 2.0.11/2.1.5/2.2.1 would mean even more work.

Thus, my proposal would be to release a 2.0.12 in July and mark it as the
"final" 2.0.x release (baring any serious security issues) and encourage
people to upgrade to 2.2.x.

Two years of support with 12 patch releases is pretty good for an open source
project.   If people need support beyond that, they could easily grab the code
and fix anything they need or there are other commercial options (such as FUSE
from Progress).

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts?

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: End 2.0.x support/releases?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I think we've reached a lazy consensus on this.   I'll send a note to the user
list as a warning that 2.0.12 will be the last so people are aware.

Dan

Re: End 2.0.x support/releases?

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1
Freeman

Daniel Kulp wrote:
> This may be a "thorny" issue, but I'd like to bring it up and start a
> discussion.
>
> July 4th will mark the 2 year anniversary of the CXF 2.0 release.   Since
> then, we have released 11 patches to that branch, along with 2.1 (and 5
> patches for it) and 2.2 (and 2 patches for it).    That's 21 releases in under
> 2 years.   Pretty impressive.
>
> However, with the trunk moving on, porting fixes and such back to 2.0.x is
> becoming increasingly hard as much code has changed.    Additionally, if we
> create a fixes branch for 2.2.x and move trunk to 2.3, that will make 4
> branches we will be maintaining, which is quite a lot.   Doing simultaneous
> releases like we did with 2.0.11/2.1.5/2.2.1 would mean even more work.
>
> Thus, my proposal would be to release a 2.0.12 in July and mark it as the
> "final" 2.0.x release (baring any serious security issues) and encourage
> people to upgrade to 2.2.x.
>
> Two years of support with 12 patch releases is pretty good for an open source
> project.   If people need support beyond that, they could easily grab the code
> and fix anything they need or there are other commercial options (such as FUSE
> from Progress).
>
> Anyway, what are peoples thoughts?

--
Freeman Fang