Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Wadholm <rw...@maf.org> on 2011/10/22 16:26:09 UTC

The Little Library

Hi, I've recently released a couchapp called The Little Library (thelittlelibrary.com<http://thelittlelibrary.com>), as a volunteer open source project for (and with) Mission Aviation Fellowship Learning Technologies (maflt.org<http://maflt.org>), that uses CouchDB as a platform for peer-to-peer open content learning resource sharing in locations in the world where internet access is sketchy, but Android mobiles are common. It's meant to help create learning networks for assisting in the training of pastors and leaders in extremely remote areas, but I'd love it if it were used anywhere where social learning could be assisted by technology, particularly where community development is the focus.

The Little Library is an open source application that allows users to upload, store, and share creative commons licensed content across computers and digital devices, offline and in the cloud. It was built as a peer-to-peer sharing distributed platform for storing/sharing Open Licensed content (videos, audio, books, notes, courses, and pictures) for use in educational settings around the world, where offline learning libraries and automated peer-to-peer replication of content on local area networks will hopefully help to support constructivist forms of learning and make this pedagogical model more widespread.

The Little Library is built on CouchDB, JQuery, and JQuery Mobile, along with a small PHP proxy, and uses Ryan Ramage's CouchApp Takeout (https://github.com/ryanramage/couchapp-takeout) for installation.

Feel free to set up an account and play with the app (http://littlelibrary.tk), break it, email me any suggestions, feedback on the code or complaints (rwadholm@maf.org<ma...@maf.org>), and fork and modify the project and/or submit any issues (https://github.com/rwadholm/The-Little-Library). Currently, the code is still big, bloated, and ugly, so any tips and help you might volunteer would be greatly appreciated (you can email me directly)!

I'd also love it if the Little Library could be added to the CouchDB in the Wild page on the wiki if all possible? (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CouchDB_in_the_wild)

Thanks!

Bob
rwadholm@maf.org<ma...@maf.org>

Re: The Little Library

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Sounds cool.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Robert Wadholm <rw...@maf.org> wrote:

> I'd also love it if the Little Library could be added to the CouchDB in the
> Wild page on the wiki if all possible? (
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CouchDB_in_the_wild)

Done!

P.S. I've had really bad experiences with .tk by the way. :(

Re: The Little Library

Posted by Andrey Somov <tr...@googlemail.com>.
*>Requirements: Java <http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp>, and a
modern internet browser like Google Chrome <http://www.google.com/chrome>.
If you have a LAN firewall enabled, this installation may not work.*

Why is Java reqiured ?

-
Andrey

Re: The Little Library

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.
Robert Wadholm wrote:
> Hi, I've recently released a couchapp called The Little Library
<details omitted>

Sounds really interesting.

I don't suppose you could point us at, or supply:

- a quick summary of what actually gets installed by the Java WebStart
installer (particularly on a Mac)
- where it puts things
- an uninstall procedure (just in case)
- a little bit of overview of functionality and architecture

When exploring a new application, it's sort of nice to know what it's
going to do to one's machine :-)

Regards,

Miles Fidelman