Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Mark Wilkerson <ma...@oracle.com> on 2006/07/11 07:42:02 UTC

Opportunities at Oracle Corporation - Oracle Enterprise Search

We currently have openings witinin Oracle Corporation.  I will include details below regarding our Oracle Enterprise Search Team.  If interested, please contact:

Mark Wilkerson
Mark.wilkerson@oracle.com

512.215.8168

Search Quality/Relevance/ IR Software Developer, Oracle Enterprise Search

"One of our biggest announcements in many, many years." -- Larry Ellison, introducing Secure Enterprise Search at OpenWorld Tokyo 2006

Google may monopolize the Internet; Oracle Secure Enterprise Search is the search engine designed for the Enterprise.

Would you like to join a team of IR experts to define the next generation of enterprise search? We are looking for senior software developers to quantify and improve search quality for the enterprise.

In addition to the conventional IR problems in the Internet, there are unique challenges in the enterprise. For example, page citations are typically less reliable for enterprise search, as web page cross-referencing is not as prevalent in the intranet. Therefore alternate techniques must be applied. We quantify precision, recall, and hit rank based on both objective and subjective measures of relevance. Based on these quantifications, we identify and implement algorithms and heuristics that improve search quality for enterprise search.

One of the unique challenges in the enterprise is security, and secure search capabilities are what place Oracle Secure Enterprise Search ahead of competition. How to deliver highly relevant results quickly in a secure fashion, honoring access privileges of the information sources, and leveraging user identities and roles to further improve search quality, is a very tough problem to solve.

We are also looking at a wide range of IR techniques such as: hit-list clustering, faceted search, automated summarization, synonym detection, and, any new ideas you may propose!

Beyond developing software solutions for enterprise search, we constantly publish papers and develop intellectual property in the field.

Qualifications

  a.. MS or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or proven track record in the field of information retrieval, data mining, web mining, machine learning, or computer linguistics.
  b.. Demonstrated examples of implementing novel search techniques in software or through publications/patents
  c.. Excellent programming skills
  d.. Strong communication skills
  e.. Experience with search quality quantitative analysis a plus

Mark Wilkerson

Office: 512.215.8168
Mobile 512.970.6702
Mark.Wilkerson@oracle.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. No internal Oracle email, except that clearly intended for public distribution (e.g. Oracle Press Releases), should be sent to any party outside Oracle